TURBINE ENGINEER (X1)
In its pursuit to become a Competitive Commercial Power Utility within the Region, Botswana Power Corporation invites applications from suitably qualified, highly energetic, dynamic, result oriented, innovative, and customer focused individuals, who believe they can be part of a great team that delivers power to Botswana to apply for the below listed position not later than 02 December 2022.
Main purpose of the position
To perform mechanical engineering functions related to power generation, high speed rotating equipment in developing engineering strategies, improvements in plant reliability and availability including optimisation of plant performance and efficiency.
- Develops and/or delivers elements of a whole of life strategic plan for Turbine, Generator and related auxiliaries with guidance from management.
- Provides strategic direction to the Maintenance department in maintaining Turbine, Generator and related auxiliaries to the highest industry standards.
- Provides operational support services and provides leadership of a transactional operations area while using existing systems and protocols.
- Supervises the implementation of approved changes in engineering design and operating procedures of plant and equipment to enhance plant efficiency and reliability.
- Consults with the Operations Managers in optimising efficient operation of Turbine, Generator and related auxiliaries.
- Investigates, troubleshoots, diagnoses equipment and systems non-performance, supports in setting up and testing new products/processes and leads the installation of complex systems with guidance.
- Provides input into maintenance programs and procedures for approval and ensures implementation in accordance with set standards to optimise plant availability, reliability and performance.
- Initiates and manages the contracting of engineering work.
- Analyses of engineering contract bids, makes recommendations for contract awards and manages the associated contract administration.
- Monitors and supervises work of contractors and commissioning of major repair work, modifications and general outages in area of responsibility to ensure compliance to specified standards.
- Supports internal customers to ensure their needs are met and/or helps senior colleagues manage client relationships.
- Identifies and evaluates complex expertise-led solutions against a range of criteria to find the ones that best meet business needs
- Performs assigned procurement activities using existing procedures.
- Works independently to collate and analyse data using pre-determined tools, methods, and formats.
- Prepares statistical records and reports of operations of mechanical plant, equipment and systems.
- Gathers data, tests equipment, and co-ordinates reports preparation regarding the performance of plant equipment in area of expertise.
- Participates in delivering a prescribed budget for the section & ensure compliance
- Advises plant personnel in matters of cost benefit analysis.
- Identifies shortcomings and suggests improvements to existing processes, systems, and procedures, then delivers a plan for change management.
- Develops programs for testing and evaluation of plant and optimises programs to achieve life expectancy of plant.
- Maintains records of plant, equipment and systems performance by working within established knowledge management systems.
- Develops engineering policies and procedures for area of expertise, monitors implementation of those procedures, and implements strategies to ensure economic targets and plant life effectiveness are achieved in line with company objectives.
- Delivers prescribed outcomes from a designated part of the development/engineering program by selecting the best possible approaches available within established systems.
- Delivers small-scale/medium-scale projects through established program management plan.
- Management of capital and other projects in area of expertise, including all aspects of Project Planning, Project Implementation, Project Control, and final delivery of projects, meeting customer expectations of Time Quality and within Budget.
- Operates in accordance with policies and rules, while performing routine safety checks on own equipment and workspace.
- A relevant degree in Mechanical Engineering or Equivalent.
- Membership of a recognized professional engineering institution required.
- A minimum of five (5) years relevant post qualification relevant high-speed rotating equipment experience
- Knowledge and experience of the energy industry in general, and power generation in particular will be an advantage
- Experience in an engineering environment required.
- A minimum of two (2) years’ experience in developing engineering strategies and optimisation of plant performance.
- Action Oriented
- Customer Focus
- Drive For Results
- Interpersonal Skills
- Management Excellence
- Problem Solving
- Process Management
- Strategic Thinking
- Values Ethic and Integrity
Interested and suitably qualified applicants are requested to apply by no later than 02 December 2022. Only shortlisted candidates will be responded to.