STUDY COORDINATOR (FLOURISH STUDY)
Botswana Harvard AIDS Institute Partnership is a collaborative research and training initiative between government of Botswana and the Harvard School of Public Health. BHP is dedicated to fight HIV/AIDS and related public health challenges through collaborative research, education and capacity building.
We seek an experienced researcher, hands on, assertive and result oriented, with a demonstrated history of successfully managing a team to join the FLOURISH study as the team’s Study Coordinator.
The incumbent will be expected to work with the study’s Principal Investigators (PIs) to plan, supervise, and oversee the day-to-day clinical activities in accordance with research standards and to manage study finances.
- Coordinate the implementation of the unit’s operational aspects which includes general administration, data management, regulatory administration, nursing, safety, budgets and contracts.
- Maintain study standards according to the guidelines of the Institution, the Institutional Review Boards at the Botswana Health Research Unit and Massachusetts General Hospital, NICHD, ICH and other governing agencies.
- Assist with the design, coordination, implementation, and assessment of data Quality Assurance, working with the P.I.s and Data Management Core (DMC) on issues related to data completeness and quality.
- Provide oversight and leadership to the study team, with support from the study PIs, to ensure that data quality management plan is adhered to and data quality is assured.
- Assists the PIs and DMC with generation of study related reports and data as needed.
- Act as a liaison between PIs, Co-Investigators, the laboratory, DMC, Botswana Ministry of Health and Wellness, and the Botswana Ministry of Basic Education to ensure that the study is conducted according to the approved protocol and that key stakeholders remain apprised of study achievements and challenges.
- Supervise and manage the performance of study staff, including providing daily performance feedback, and the timely preparation and administration of mid and end of year performance appraisals.
- Facilitate capacity building for Study staff through one-on-one training and provide opportunities for staff to participate in various conferences and training applicable to the FLOURISH study.
- Ensure that study accrual and retention targets are achieved. Prepare bi-monthly reports outlining actual versus targets, with narrative as to planned recruiting and retention strategies.
- Ensure that participant lost-to-follow up is minimized and prepare a monthly report for lost to follow-up and a narrative of actions that will be taken to minimize further losses.
- Provide reports adverse events report for sponsors and governing agencies in accordance with the study’s protocol.
- Manage the study budget to minimize overspending, authorizing invoices and assist with reconciliations for the petty cash.
- Deliver educational talks to prospective participants about the study, as well as, perform duties such as recruiting, consenting, completion of visit case report forms using the Electronic Database Capture system (EDC), phlebotomy, ultrasound dating of pregnancies, and follow-up of all study participants.
Qualifications and experience:
- Minimum bachelor degree in Medicine (e.g. MBBS, MBchB), Masters in Public Health and/or Degree in Nursing or related.
- Minimum of 3 – 5 years in research
- At least 3 years’ experience coordinating a grunt funded project.
- Registered with Botswana Health Professional Council with a Valid annual practicing license if MBBS, MBchB, or RN.
Closing date and application instructions
Qualifying candidates should forward their detailed application to:
Human Resources Manager
Closing date: 10 September 2021
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.