Location: Gaborone, BW
Closing Date: 13 December 2023
Water Utilities Corporation (WUC) is one of the leaders in the water supply industry in the region and strives to be the best internationally. The Corporation prides itself in employing the best human resource capital available to effectively deliver on its mandate and ultimately attain its aspirations. WUC would like to invite suitably qualified individuals who wish to join an employer of choice and meet the profile, to apply to be considered for the below position based at Head-Office.
Specialist Procurement (Projects)
This role is responsible for facilitating management in compliance to the public procurement legislation (PP Act, 2021) and related procedures and promote the fundamental principles of transparency, competition, value for money, efficiency, fairness and accountability in public procurement for the Corporation. It acts as an advisor to the Senior Manager – Procurement Oversight Unit on any procurement matters relating to Projects/Works.
The role is accountable for the Corporation’s formal procurement decisions through the Senior Manager – Procurement Oversight Unit with a focus on pre-adjudication, recommendation of an award, rejection, cancellation, or any other appropriate recommendation related to a tender for procurement of works in a procuring entity in accordance with good governance, legal and regulatory compliance.
Operational Strategy of the Procurement Oversight Unit
- Articulate and upholds the Procurement Oversight Unit operational strategy, and propose or identify innovative solutions for procurement, including the development of category procurement, risk management and cost saving strategies.
- Provides procurement advisory to all Departments and implements any corrective measures to ensure adherence to procurement procedure and integrity to the procurement process.
- supports the Corporation’s Procurement related integrity/image and mitigation on reputational risk.
- Identifies arears of improvement on procurement and tender strategy, processes, policies, procedures, and systems that promote quality, cost effectiveness and value for money
- Ensures adherence to approved budget and Implements measures to analyse and improve the functional area’s cost management efficiencies
- Facilitate management in promoting compliance to the Public Procurement Act
Procurement Oversight Unit Management
- Provide analysis and recommendations on procurement matters for Projects/works.
- Provide analysis and recommendations on tender related dispute resolution.
- Provide the necessary guidance so that procuring entities (Technical Experts, Category Managers, Requisitioners, and other stakeholders etc) in the procurement process act consistently with the Procurement Act and Regulations.
- Assists in the analysis of WUC procurement trends and make forecasts for future operations.
Position Outcomes & Measures
Compliance to WUC Procurement Policies and Procedures
Effective compliance and monitoring of all procurement matters
Compliance to Public Procurement Act
Management of procurement oversight unit records
Implementation of Government Economic Empowerment Schemes/initiatives
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical/ Civil/ Construction Engineering
- Membership of Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply (CIPS) MCIPS – CMILT or Institute for Supply Chain Management (ISM)- CPSM or National Contract Management Association (NCMA)-CPCM will be an added advantage.
A minimum of five (5) years relevant work experience in a Procurement or Procurement Oversight environment.
Experience and knowledge in purchasing, supply management, or financial experience is desirable.
Salary: An attractive Salary Package commensurate to the market
Leave: 30 working days per annum
Pension: A Contributory Pension Scheme (16.5% WUC and 4% Employee)
Group Life Assurance (24-hour coverage)
75% paid by the Corporation towards Medical Aid
Interested Botswana citizens should address their cover letter to:
Human Resource Director
Water Utilities Corporation
Private Bag 00276
Attach a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (C.V), certified copies of certificates, National Identity Card (Omang) as well as professional references and names and addresses of two referees.
NB: Cover letter, certificates, identity card (omang), and references should be scanned as one document and uploaded with the cover letter.
Only shortlisted candidates will be responded to.
No Physical applications will be accepted.