Title: Senior Techno Economist – 5 Year Fixed Term Contract
Description: Debswana Diamond Company would like to invite suitably qualified innovative, results oriented and self-driven individuals to apply for the position listed and described below and join a professional team driven by service excellence, where the demands of the business are met by encouraging team work and addressing the needs of the individual.
Purpose of the Role
Responsible for the planning, co-ordination and development of the business case for specified projects (including Underground Development options) and delivering the business case at the appropriate quality to meet project deadlines.
Develops and maintains economic models for specified projects and influences the choice of technical solution to ensure an optimised techno-economic outcome.
Key Job Responsibilities
- Recommend and incorporate cost saving initiatives into budgets
- Manage and control allocated funds and operates within approved parameters
- Contribute to the Debswana large projects portfolio by providing insights, analysis and valuations of specified major projects with Underground mining focus
- Ensure that Project cost and evaluation models are developed in line with Debswana standard practices such that individual project models can be combined into a master economic model for the business
- Responsible for updating and maintaining up to date input assumptions for major commodities used in General Assumptions for all Major Projects
- Develop and maintain economic models for specified large projects with Underground options and influences the choice of technical solution to ensure an optimized techno-economic outcome
- Review and verify capital and operating costs and cash flow schedules proposed for each of the projects before consolidation into the project and business models
- Develop and maintain an understanding of underground mining operating costs including building cost driver trees for each of the relevant operations as a means of predicting and validating operating cost inputs to business case models
- Ensure that both capital and operating costs are within the required levels of accuracy for the appropriate stages of the project pipeline by coordinating and reviewing the accuracy of inputs from multiple teams
- Run models incorporating quantitative risk analysis techniques to be able to comment on probability and present scenarios/sensitives as part of business case
- Perform project risk analysis through the use of options analysis and Monte Carlo simulations to demonstrate the probability of project outcomes
- Define, plan, co-ordinate and develop the business case, including trade-off analysis of all options to support the successful delivery of Major Projects involving Underground Development options
- Document and communicate a clear justification for specified projects, including analysis of discarded options, summarizing the distribution of benefits and costs of the project to support the development of final business cases for specified Debswana
- Prepare economic analysis and business case reports and presentations to the assurance reviewers, Debswana Technical Committee and the Debswana Board
- Prepare post project reviews/evaluations and determine any variances on the delivered outcome versus the original business case
- Contribute to the development of processes and standards for Business Case development (Desktop, Concept, Pre-Feasibility, Feasibility, Implementation and post-Implementation stages) to support the development of final business cases for Debswana Horizon 2
- Provide leadership and project teams with an understanding of key value drivers for each project
- Provide insights and contribute to strategic discussions to inform decisions around option analysis and management approach to project implementation and ultimately the operation of the assets
- Implements sectional talent management initiatives by ensuring the right competence and effectiveness of manpower (capacity building) through developing training and development plans
- Implement knowledge management principles through application of tools and methodologies to continuously improve and sustain business performance
- Identify and implement creative and innovative ideas to continuously improve and sustain business performance
- Develop and maintain understanding of quantitative risk analysis and probabilistic analysis
- Work with the Principal Techno Economist and Senior Techno Economist Open Pit to develop an understanding of the diamond market and prices, including understanding supply, demand and pricing for the various diamond products for Debswana
- Establishes and maintains effective relationships with all key stakeholders and partners to ensure achievement of business objectives
- Adheres to safety, health and environmental programme In area of responsibility
Other Job Responsibilities
- Acquire knowledge on the implementation of safety, health and environmental programmes
- Degree in Technical/Engineering/ Commerce/Business/Mineral Economics disciplines
- 10 years post graduate experience, with at least 6 years exposure to underground mining operations.
- Experience in business analysis in large-scale mining operations and experience with business case development for major mining projects.
- Experience in the use of probabilistic analysis techniques and software.
Legal Certification/Professional Registration
- Advanced report writing skills
- Project Management skills including interpreting output of scheduling software
- Knowledge of major accounting platforms (SAP preferred)
- Expertise in data analysis tools
- Strong understanding of Monte Carlo Simulations and other risk analysis software
- Expertise in the Microsoft suite of programme; particularly in Excel, Word and Powerpoint
- Business Acumen
- Judgement and Decision Making
- Managing Performance and Holding People Accountable
- Change Leadership
- Impact & Influence
- Concern for Safety, Health and the Environment
- Service Orientation
- Building Organisational Capability
- Teamwork & Collaboration
23 February 2024
Debswana is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Please note that we only contact shortlisted candidates.
Job Segment: Data Analyst, Business Analyst, Project Manager, Supply, Engineer, Technology, Data, Engineering, Operations