SENIOR TECHNICAL OFFICER- OVERHEAD LINES MAINTENANCE – (X1) – FRANCISTOWN
In its pursuit to become a Competitive Commercial Power Utility within the Region, Botswana Power Corporation invites applications from suitably qualified, highly energetic, dynamic, result oriented, innovative, and customer focused individuals, who believe they can be part of a great team that delivers power to Botswana to apply for the below listed position not later than 16 December 2023
Main purpose of the position
To supervise and carry out maintenance activities on distribution network to ensure safe,reliable, stable and cost-efficient distribution of electricity supply to customers in accordance with BPC’s engineering standards, procedures and regulations.
- Supervises the activities of the team to ensure that operational systems, procedures and safety standards are observed at all times.
- Authorises, controls and carries out switching operations in accordance with Transmission and Distribution standards, policies and procedures in the area of responsibility to ensure safety and minimal disruption to customer supplies.
- Supervises customer connection activities including approval of network designs, applications, quotations, meter installations and inspections, testing and commissioning of equipment to ensure efficient service delivery according to set targets.
- Investigates, assesses public liability third party damages to equipment/appliances and recommends appropriate action following damages.
- Supervises customer connection activities such as, records management on customer applications connections and service connection payments and addressing customer enquiries and queries in areas of responsibility.
- Takes over from contractors or commissions in-house projects and updates the existing network databases to ensure conformity to set standards.
- Update schematics and operating diagram to ensure safety of personnel and equipment.
- Executes faults resolution on SAP for effective customer satisfaction.
- Liaises with other regional utilities on issues of cross boarder power supplies to ensure continuity of power supply to customers
- Investigates and initiates repairs of network faults and supply quality problems to ensure speedy restorations of supplies and provision of supply services according to set standards.
- Checks metering kiosks to ensure that they are wired, installed and commissioned in accordance with Procedures, Regulations and Safety Standards
- Verifies and approve variations in the scope of work to ensure timely completion of the project.
- Advises Customer on connection requirements to facilitate effective project implementation.
- Plans and implement area CAPX/OPEX and manpower budget to achieve set objectives on improving systems reliability and security.
- Addresses escalated consumer queries and follows up on complaints
- Identifies shortcomings in existing processes, systems and procedures, then uses established change management programs to deliver prescribed outcomes and/or provide support services
- Carries out on-the-job training in maintenance procedures and fault diagnosis in order to increase the flexibility and capability of the team.
- Manages the motivation and discipline of staff in area of responsibility in line with laid down procedures to realize the Corporation’s objectives
- Proposes and implements staff development plans for the area of responsibility to ensure competent, efficient and motivated staff
- Carries out prescribed stakeholder management activities such as contribution to development of emergency plans in the area of responsibility within existing procedures
- Manage payment of fuel suppliers
- Monitors fleet utilisation and arranges for fleet repair and maintenance in line with maintenance schedule and as and when there is breakdown
- Participates in safety inspections and reports on findings to maintain safety of personnel and good housekeeping of the plant.
- Participate in formulation and implement safe working procedures on all system maintenance equipment for maximum operational safety.
- Promotes safety awareness through tools box talks, monthly safety and incident recall meetings to ensure that employees are conversant with dangers of their safety attached to any work they perform.
- Recognized Diploma (Electrical) Engineering or National Craft Certificate or equivalent.
- Class B Driver’s license required
- Senior Authorisation is compulsory at Distribution level – 66kV
- Registration with Engineers Registering Board (ERB) is a requirement for Diploma holders.
- Standing membership of a recognised professional engineering body for Diploma holders
- Diploma with Five (5) years post qualification experience in the power transmission & distribution environment.
- National Craft Certificate with Eight (8) years post qualification experience in the power Transmission and Distribution environment
- Action Oriented
- Customer Focus
- Drive For Results
- Interpersonal Skills
- Management Excellence
- Problem Solving
- Process Management
- Strategic Thinking
- Values Ethic and Integrity
Interested and suitably qualified applicants are requested to apply by no later than 16 December 2023 . Only shortlisted candidates will be responded to.