Exploration, Ghanzi, BOTSWANA
The Senior Operations Geologist will be responsible for contributing to the development and implementation of the Company’s exploration programmes across the region.
Reporting to the Principal Geologist, this is position will be responsible for contributing to the development and implementation of the Company’s exploration programmes across the region. Being a significant specialised role in the Botswana Exploration team, this role requires extensive sediment-hosted copper experience and a good understanding of managing drill campaigns and running drilling operations in the field.
- Assist with the implementation of the company’s Botswana exploration strategy, working with in-country geologists and industry consultants.
- Work with the Principal Geologist – Botswana and the Technical Team to identify, test and evaluate exploration targets within the project area.
- Plan and design exploration and drill programs in collaboration with Technical Team and site geologists
- Undertake a range of technical project work as directed by the Principal Geologist and Senior Technical Specialists to improve the geological understanding of the Kalahari Copper Belt and advance the Company’s exploration objectives.
- Contribute to the development and updating of 3D Geological models, ranging from Deposit to Basin scale.
- Assist with the development, improvement and implementation of the Company’s exploration processes, with the necessary training and mentoring to upskill site geologists.
- Ensure all datasets generated and used by the Sandfire team are validated and fit for purpose.
- Prepare presentations and reports for internal management, and relevant internal and external stakeholders.
- Contribute to the open and transparent culture in
- Ensuring adherence to contractual conditions of both Consultants and Contractors, these specifically relating to Drill and various Industry Contractors & Consultants.
- Managing/running a diverse range of programmes concurrently, from broad regional scale to detailed exploration and assessment of individual prospects.
- Geological Reporting and a thorough understanding of Resource Reporting, and conversion requirements from Resources to Reserves.
- Excellent technical writing skills. Skilled at use of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Proven competency in geological software packages such as Geosoft, Micromine, Surpac, MapInfo and familiarity with geological database packages.
- Project management skills including budgeting, proposal preparation, staff supervision and client relations.
- Familiarity with industry (Copper & Silver processing) standard equipment and technical expertise.
- Displays good team spirit.
- Interpersonal and Communication skills
Qualification & Experience
- Degree in Geology or Earth Science
- Experience in operational readiness and new start-up projects
- Valid Driver’s License Class B
- A minimum of 12 years’ experience with proven track record of contract management
- A minimum of 8-10 year’s experience in Base Metals exploration
- Experience in training and developing entry – graduate level staff.
- Extensive Contracts & contractor management experience