SENIOR NATIONAL GRID CONTROLLER(X1) GABORONE
In its pursuit to become a Competitive Commercial Power Utility within the Region, Botswana Power Corporation invites applications from suitably qualified, highly energetic, dynamic, result oriented, innovative, and customer focused individuals, who believe they can be part of a great team that delivers power to Botswana to apply for the below listed position not later than 04 October 2023
Main purpose of the position
To plan, monitor, direct and coordinate all operational activities of the National Grid to ensure a continuous, safe, efficient, economic and reliable power supply to customers in accordance with Southern African Power Pool and Local Regulatory standards.
- Issues operational instructions to Distribution, Large Power Users and Generation control centres.
- Restores power supply following interruptions in a safe, timely and orderly manner.
- Reconfigures circuits under various scenarios to ensure stability of the power system.
- Implements Southern African Power Pool energy trading schedules in order to meet the agreed obligations, including real time trading.
- Coordinates and carries out switching during commissioning of new Transmission equipment for smooth integration with existing interconnected power system.
- Prepares daily operational reports to appraise relevant stakeholders on the system performance.
- Carries out post fault analysis for decision-making purposes and prepares reports for further analysis and investigation within stipulated time limits
- Carries out switching and sanctions the issuing and cancellation of safety documents for safe working purposes
- Monitor, control and operate the National Grid (Including SAPP Interconnectors) in an efficient manner to reduce losses and to ensure safety to personnel and equipment.
- Sanctions the release of equipment for maintenance to ensure maximum safety and continuity of supply.
- Benchmarks & recommends new upgrades/new additions to the systems for compatibility and alignment with best practice.
- Analyses system statistical data for planning and operational purposes.
- Contributes to compilation of sectional monthly report
- Monitors system frequency within SAPP agreed limits to ensure good quality of supply at all times.
- Adheres to laid down processes, systems and procedures and reports shortcomings.
- Enforces compliance to the BPC Safety Rules to ensure safety of equipment and personnel
- Provides input into the development of policies and procedures within area of responsibility & ensure compliance by team members.
- Contributes to the formulation of operational policies and standards and their enforcement in the Southern African Power Pool
- Motivates and disciplines staff in area of responsibility in line with laid down procedures to realize the Corporation’s objectives.
- Monitors team performance by working within the prescribed performance management system.
- Implements staff development plans for the area of responsibility to ensure competent, efficient and motivated staff.
- Mentors and coaches new staff as part of on the job training.
- Complies with the BPC SHER requirements with the view of cultivating and sustaining safety, health and environmental awareness within the section.
- Recognised Bachelor’s Degree or Diploma in Electrical Engineering or equivalent.
- Senior Authorization up to 400kV is compulsory
- Class B Driver’s License is required.
- Professional Membership with Engineering Registration Board (ERB) is required.
- Four (4) years post qualification experience in a Transmission system operations’ environment for a Bachelor’s Degree holders.
- Seven (7) years post qualification experience in a Transmission system operations environment for Diploma holders.
- Drive For Results
- Customer Focus
- Interpersonal Skills
- Management Excellence
- Values Ethic and Integrity
- Problem Solving
- Strategic Thinking
- Process Management
- Action Oriented
Interested and suitably qualified applicants are requested to apply by no later than 04 October 2023. Only shortlisted candidates will be responded to.