This role is critical to the business and operational readiness strategy for the mine technical group.
Reporting to the Mining Manager, this position is responsible for providing operational and technical inputs into the contractor’s weekly planning process, sign-off of drill and blast plans and assessment of monthly contractor submissions. This role is critical to the business and operational readiness strategy for the mine technical group. This position will also be responsible for mentoring and upskilling junior engineer staff.
Key Performance Areas
- Ensure work is undertaken in line with the company HSE standards and legal requirements.
- Generate weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual mine plans aligned and integrated into long term and LOM plans.
- Maintains strong communication with mining contractor and processing on delivery of planning objectives.
- Analyses and interpretation of mine plans to ensure alignment with operational objectives.
- Monitor and evaluates mining performance.
- Completes production reconciliation and compliance to plan.
- Completes production and operational performance reporting.
- Supports GC planning and execution.
- Develop, review, and maintain processes and systems for the mining department.
- Develop, review, and maintain Standard Operating Procedures for the mining department.
- Review and sign off, of drill and blast designs from the contractor as required.
- Review and sign off mining contractor production data for monthly claim submission as required.
- Support pit dewatering planning and requirements.
- Perform mine project engineering, including roads, dumps, and stockpile designs.
- Mentoring of junior staff.
- Regularly inspect workplace for safe work practices.
- Ensure effective working relationships are built and maintained with other departments and stakeholders, both internal and external.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Advanced skills with Mine Planning and design software, such as Deswik, Micromine (Alastri), MineSched,
- Ability to build planning systems and processes to optimize workflows.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite softwares.
- Working knowledge of the Botswana Mines, Quarries, Works, and Machinery Regulations
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to influence and a high level of cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- Excellent communication skills (oral, written, listening).
Qualification & Experience
- Degree in Mining from a recognised University
- Registered with the Engineers Registration Board
- Botswana Open Pit Blasting Licence
- Minimum of 10 Years’ experience in open pit hard rock mining environment with 5 years in a senior engineer role.
- Proven experience with all aspect of short term and production planning/operational support.
- Experience working in contract mining environment.
- Experienced in operations and planning for multi mines with complex ore bodies.
- International experience highly regarded.