This role is responsible for the long-term planning aspects of the business planning cycle.
The incumbent will develop and manage the life-of-mine to annual mine planning cycles as well as the necessary mine engineering and planning required to complete the work. This includes management of mine planning operating cost model, pit optimizations and performing pit/waste dump design work. The role will also manage the reserve and resource estimate process including reporting/documentation on an annual basis.
Key Performance Areas
- Ensure work is undertaken in line with the company HSE standards and legal requirements.
- Develop comprehensive mine plans spanning from annual to life-of-mine with appropriate level of detail in the respective planning horizons.
- Develop and maintain comprehensive cost model for mine planning costs and budgeting drivers.
- Perform comprehensive pit optimization work and analysis to maximize asset value.
- Complete Mine Design Updates/Detailed cutback designs as required.
- Complete Ultimate Waste Dumps designs, and sequencing as required.
- Responsible for generation of Resources/Reserve estimate including Reporting and Documentation.
- Preparation and management of block models required for mine planning cycles.
- Derive and utilize production reconciliation factors.
- Building and maintaining the 1 to 3 year mine operating cost budgets aligned to mining contract, including required capital expenditure.
- Identify, assess, manage, and communicate risks to the execution of the long-term plan to senior management.
- Assist with the development and implementation of best practices for mine planning/mine design functions.
- Assist with the development and implementation of training plans for junior or intermediate level engineers to increase the technical capability of the team.
- Assist with operating alternative analyses as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Advanced skills with Mine Planning software, such as Deswik, Micromine (Alastri), MineSched, Whittle, NPV Scheduler.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite softwares.
- Working knowledge of the Botswana Mines, Quarries, Works and Machinery Regulations
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to influence and a high level of cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- Excellent communication skills (oral, written, listening).
- Self-starter with strong facilitation and presentation skills.
Qualification & Experience
- Degree in Mine Engineering from a recognised University
- Registered with the Engineers Registration Board
- Minimum of 10 Years’ experience in open pit hard rock mining environment with minimum of 5 years in a senior engineer role.
- Experience in all ranges of mine planning horizons with specialization in long term planning, mine design and reserve estimation/reporting for large, diversified mine sites.
- Experienced in operations and planning for multi mines with complex ore bodies.
- Knowledge of unit costing methods for resource and reserve analysis, cash flow and financial analysis
- Proven project management experience.