SENIOR ENGINEER – POWER ISLAND (X1)
In its pursuit to become a Competitive Commercial Power Utility within the Region, Botswana Power Corporation invites applications from suitably qualified, highly energetic, dynamic, result oriented, innovative, and customer focused individuals, who believe they can be part of a great team that delivers power to Botswana to apply for the below listed position not later than 02 December 2022.
Main purpose of the position
To plan, coordinate and control activities of Engineering Department such as feasibility studies, technical investigations and the co-ordination between projects, including new generation developments within the Boiler and Turbine within the Power Station to ensure that the business achieves the agreed performance, financial and time targets.
- Provides engineering advice and takes full responsibility for technical assurance of the Plant.
- Coordinate and manage all Plant engineering activities including interfaces between the various parties (BPC Plant team, owner’s engineer team and EPC contractor) in order to ensure that the Plant is managed effectively within cost, time schedule and in a safe and environmentally sensitive manner.
- Provides technical support and solutions to Engineers in the department.
- Identifies and evaluates complex expertise-led solutions against a range of criteria to find the ones that best meet business needsDevelops and/or delivers elements of a strategic planning system with guidance from senior colleagues.
- Manages output delivery for a substantial engineering department by leading others.
- Makes a significant improvement on short-term or long-term business performance by recommending authoritative technical and/or professional solutions.
- Develops new methods, tools and programs for quality assurance while leading developmental initiatives and/or programs within an area of expertise.
- Supports internal customers to ensure their needs are met and/or helps senior colleagues manage client relationships.
- Manages relationships with clients to ensure their needs are met while supporting senior colleagues in managing more important client and customer relationships.
- Builds own capabilities and develops the capabilities of direct reports by working within existing development framework; provides specialized training or coaching in area of expertise to others throughout the organization.
- Develops and/or delivers budget plans for own area with guidance from senior colleagues.
- Manages and delivers required outcomes for a portfolio of contracts and negotiates service level agreements while planning, coordinating and supervising activities related to major contracts.
- Initiates, formulates and implements new business practices for own discipline, while managing the development and/or delivery of a significant element of the organization’s change management program.
- Manages the development and/or operation of knowledge management system with guidance from senior colleagues.
- Develops procedures for area of expertise with guidance from senior colleagues, then monitors implementation of those procedures within the organization.
- Evaluates the feasibility/relevance of proposed solutions, then develops and/or delivers a plan for significant aspects of the development program with guidance from senior colleagues
- Manages and delivers required outcomes for a portfolio of projects while reporting to senior colleagues.
- Evaluates the feasibility/relevance of proposed solutions, then develops and/or delivers a plan for significant aspects of the development program with guidance from senior colleagues.
- A relevant degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or Equivalent.
- Professional membership of a recognised Institution required (ERB registration is mandatory).
- Additional management qualifications will be an advantage
- A minimum of 7 years relevant post qualification experience, of which, at least 2 years should have been in a management capacity.
- Knowledge and experience of the electricity industry in general, and power generation in particular: Boiler and Turbines will be an advantage. Fossil-fired power generation experience is required.
- Experience in a maintenance environment is required.
- Action Oriented
- Customer Focus
- Drive For Results
- Interpersonal Skills
- Management Excellence
- Problem Solving
- Process Management
- Strategic Thinking
- Values Ethic and Integrity
Interested and suitably qualified applicants are requested to apply by no later than 02 December 2022. Only shortlisted candidates will be responded to.