Africa – Senior Director Carbon Team
Conservation International (CI) has been protecting nature for the benefit of all for over 30 years. Through science, policy, and partnerships, CI is helping build a healthier, more prosperous and more productive planet.
Amid growing consensus that the protection, restoration, and improved management of ecosystems can provide at least 30% of the climate mitigation needed to limit warming to 1.5°C, Conservation International (CI) has set ambitious targets to realize the potential of these natural climate solutions (NCS) worldwide.
The Africa (Field Division) – Senior Director Carbon Team will develop and lead a carbon deal team that can identify, design and execute new NCS projects in Africa in coordination with CI country programs (South Africa, Botswana, Kenya, Madagascar, Liberia) and our partner network in non-presence countries. This includes emissions reductions and other categories of CI’s Climate Strategy.
To be successful, the Senior Director needs extensive knowledge and experience on climate change, forest, rangeland and blue carbon ecosystems, as well as demonstrated experience in the development of conservation finance and carbon deals, especially REDD+. The Senior Director must work productively with external partners in the private sector, government, and civil society. They must be able to articulate an actionable plan for developing a pipeline of new, high quality emissions reductions and restoration projects (both from environmental and social perspectives) at scale and comfortable sharing and driving that vision with Conservation International staff, leadership, and board, in high-level forums, with potential funding partners, and with the implementing programs and partners to drive ongoing buy-in, resourcing, and execution. The role will require a breadth of skills across a variety of topics including business management, project management, finance, science, policy, markets and technology.
The Senior Director Carbon Team works closely with field programs across Africa as well as the Center for Natural Climate Solutions and other relevant Conservation International divisions.
Build and lead a regional team to originate and structure new emission reduction and/or carbon-crediting projects eligible under voluntary and compliance carbon schemes, including:
- Assist and/or lead the strategic and technical development of CI “flagship” carbon projects in the region that incorporate all aspects of high-quality NCS projects including deep local and indigenous community engagement and partnership, protection of all key ecological attributes, engagement of government and other stakeholders, and implementation of robust monitoring and verification approaches.
- Build high-quality project pipeline with key external partners including NGOs, governments, local communities and private developers; identify and engage a network of project developers, implementation partners and local and international NGOs; ensure high-quality NCS project pipeline with partners and facilitate monitoring and verification, high-quality technical standards and appropriate community and other safeguards.
- Design and implement sub-national and/or jurisdictional carbon financing facilities in partnership with governments, NGOs, financial institutions and other strategic partners that provide governance and financial instruments to drive NBS in key geographies.
Fundraising and External Engagement
- Contribute to CI’s Climate fundraising efforts to support the full implementation of the Climate strategy; communicate with strategic private sector partners and link NCS projects with external partners
- Support development of major public (GEF, GCF) fundraising proposals, and advise on public funding programs with substantial NCS project components.
- Provide strategic thought leadership, including engagement at international forums, engagement with government, and be an external spokesperson for CI
- The position is based in Nairobi or any other major CI city/hub in Africa (Liberia, South Africa, Madagascar, Botswana).
- Travel time up to 50%.
- Graduate degree in a relevant field (e.g. environmental science, law or business)
- Strong experience on climate-related issues including experience with carbon transactions (origination and implementation) and track record of success in Africa
- Evidence of a focus on collaboration and a strong network of individuals and institutions in restoration and climate, including experience convening a broad range of individuals.
- Demonstrated carbon finance knowledge and experience, including voluntary markets, and use of high-quality standards such as Verra, Climate Community & Biodiversity Standards etc
- Ability to effectively work in a team across the full diversity of CI’s global organization.
- Demonstrated track record of working effectively with multicultural, multidisciplinary teams to produce concrete results, including strong capacity to navigate diversity, equity, and inclusion challenges and opportunities.
- Excellent oral and written skills in English
- Business development experience
- Fundraising experience
- Experience developing countries
- Ability to communicate in Swahili, French and Portuguese would be beneficial
To apply for this position please submit a resume and cover letter.
Application Deadline: April 15, 2021 (11:49 PM EST)
Conservation International Values
We expect that all employees will embrace the values of our organization.
- Passion: Inspired by people and by nature, we are urgently compelled to drive change for a sustainable future.
- Integrity: We are honest, transparent and accountable for our actions.
- Teamwork: We work together as one CI, recognizing that inclusion, collaboration and cooperation are fundamental to achieving a healthy and prosperous world for all.
- Respect: We respect each other and work to earn trust, valuing our diversity of cultures, talents, and experiences.
- Courage: We pursue our vision, taking bold action, persevering and overcoming challenges.
- Optimism: We are optimistic about the capacity of people to be caring, generous and brilliant, and believe that with partners, we can inspire humanity to create a better future.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Vets/Disabled
Leave A Comment