Title: Senior Corporate Affairs Manager-Operations
Description: Debswana Diamond Company would like to invite suitably qualified innovative, results oriented and self-driven individuals to apply for the position listed and described below and join a professional team driven by service excellence, where the demands of the business are met by encouraging team work and addressing the needs of the individual.
Purpose of the Role
The Senior Manager Corporate Affairs – Operations/ Mines is a mining operation executive role that reports directly to the General Manager, with a technical reporting line to the Executive Head of Corporate Affairs. The role is responsible for provision of strategic guidance to the operation/mine on the execution of the business and corporate communication strategy with emphasis on regulatory compliance for the extractive industry. It covers internal and external communication, stakeholder relations, social impact and implementation of the company’s socio-economic goals entailed in its Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) framework (known as Building Forever).
Key Job Responsibilities
- Interprets operational requirements and integrates with discipline base financial needs to ensure availability of financial resources to meet business objectives.
- Contributes to the formulation of strategies for the operation / mine to meet the company’s medium- and long-term strategic and transformation plans and ensure alignment with the overall company’s Corporate Affairs strategy
- Contributes to shaping of the company’s brand, reputation, social impact and ESG (Building Forever) strategies in support of the business strategy by translating Corporate Affairs implications into innovative and practical plans
- Coaches operations Senior Management on the corporate brand, reputation, social impact, thought leadership and communication issues
- Develops communication strategies to enhance employee commitment and alignment.
- Builds stakeholder relations with regional and local government to build trust and goodwill, minimise negative social impacts and maximise socio-economic development opportunities
- Contributes to the development of the department’s frameworks, standards, policies, procedures, processes and manages the implementation of and adherence to legal and corporate governance principles and requirements
- Ensures team cohesion and oversees the implementation of the functional talent management initiatives by ensuring the right competencies and effectiveness of teams
- Ensures cross-functional collaboration and strategic communication support to departments
- Ensures timely monitoring, evaluation, measurement, assurance and reporting of programmes
Other Job Responsibilities
- Adheres to all Safety, Health, and Environmental policies and procedures in area of responsibility
- Relevant degree in Communication Management, Public Relations or related; A post graduate management degree and affiliation to a recognized Professional communication and PR association will be ideal
- 10 years’ communication & stakeholder management experience, with minimum 8 years in management, ideally in a mining environment.
- Long term experience in communication strategy formulation, application of communication best practices, communication measurement methodologies, data analysis, and reporting.
Legal Certification/Professional Registration
- Membership – Public Relations Institute of Southern Africa (PRISA) / PR Institute
- Membership – International Association of Business Communicators (IABC)
- Standards, Governance, Risk Management and Controls
- Project Management skills
- Data analysis
- Key Value Driver Analysis
- Cost Management
- Systems Thinking
- Digital Skills
- Innovativeness and Change Management
- Critical Thinking
- Management reporting
- Teamwork & Collaboration
- Achievement Orientation
- Planning, Coordination and Execution
- Judgment and Decision Making
- Impact and Influence
- Concern for Safety, Health and the Environment
- Service Orientation
- Building Partnerships
Debswana is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Please note that we only contact shortlisted candidates.
Job Segment: Operations Manager, Compliance, Data Analyst, PR, Risk Management, Operations, Legal, Marketing, Data, Finance