OPERATIONS SUPERINTENDENT – GABORONE
In its pursuit to become a Competitive Commercial Power Utility within the Region, Botswana Power Corporation invites applications from suitably qualified, highly energetic, dynamic, result oriented, innovative, and customer focused individuals, who believe they can be part of a great team that delivers power to Botswana to apply for the below listed position not later than 16 December 2023.
Main purpose of the position
To plan, organize and coordinate distribution network operations activities to ensure safe, reliable, stable, and cost-efficient supply of electricity to customers in accordance with BPC’s engineering standards, procedures, and regulations.
- Oversees the activities of operations and provides technical assistance for the operation and control of Distribution System to ensure safe and effective control of the system.
- Prepares load-shedding schedules for approval to prioritise the distribution of supply in case of major system losses to maintain system stability.
- Monitors and analyses network loading, configuration, and performance, then recommends changes and/or additions to achieve network optimization within area of responsibility.
- Arranges and coordinates all planned system outages to minimise disruptions of supply to customers.
- Updates the Operations Database of in-service equipment performance and historical data to ensure availability of data and suitability of equipment.
- Prepares periodic and ad hoc reports to appraise relevant management on issues relating to system operations and maintenance.
- Investigates public liability/third party damages to equipment/appliances and recommends appropriate action following damage.
- Trouble shoot and diagnose equipment for emergency repairs and performing reactive maintenance.
- Analyse equipment performance, test results and making recommendations on further actions that may be required.
- Coordinates and monitors the activities of the faults section and ensure restoration of supply within set performance targets.
- Supervises major network emergency repairs to ensure quick restoration of supplies.
- Ensures that information on network addition/changes including technical drawings and manuals are updated
- Monitors Distribution network performance and adjust deficits arising from network expansion and/or advise network planning.
- Adjust the network to allow for network flexibility and in a manner that load capacity bottlenecks will be reduced as reasonably practicable.
- Develops and/or delivers a plan for significant aspects of internal communication with guidance from Area Engineer
- Conducts research using primary data sources and selects relevant information to enable analysis of key themes and trends.
- Manages relationships with clients to ensure their needs are met while supporting senior colleagues in managing more important client and customer relationships.
- Tracks systems operations budget and brings variances to the attention of senior colleagues while working within established budgeting systems.
- Initiates and implements systems operations budget
- Uses established change management programs to deliver prescribed outcomes and/or provide support services
- Highlight’s shortcomings and suggests improvements in current compliance processes, systems, and procedures within assigned unit and/or discipline.
- Provides input into the development of procedures for an area within the organization, then monitors the implementation of those procedures.
- Delivers own small-scale or medium-scale projects by working within an established program management plan
- Delivers required outcomes by managing relationships with contract service providers and working within established contract management plan
- Manages the motivation and discipline of staff in area of responsibility in line with laid down procedures to realize the Corporation’s objectives.
- Manages the performance of the team by working within a performance management system.
- Proposes and implements staff development plans for the area of responsibility to ensure competent, efficient, and motivated staff.
- Ensures that all safety (Safety Health and Environmental standards) contained in the Corporation’s Policies and procedures are adhered to
- Developing SHER policies and procedures for area of responsibility
- B. Eng. in Electrical Engineering or equivalent OR Diploma in Electrical Engineering or equivalent OR National Craft Certificate Electrical
- Senior Authorisation is compulsory at Distribution level – 66kV
- Degree and Diploma holders must be registered with Engineers Registering Board (ERB)
- Valid Class B driver’s license
- B.Eng. – At least 4 years post qualification experience in the electricity supply industry.
- Diploma – At least 8 years post qualification experience in the electricity supply industry.
- NCC – At least 20 years post qualification experience in the electricity supply industry.
- The required experience should be in the Distribution transmission line and distribution operations and maintenance activities
- Action Oriented
- Customer Focus
- Drive For Results
- Interpersonal Skills
- Management Excellence
- Problem Solving
- Process Management
- Strategic Thinking
- Values Ethic and Integrity
Interested and suitably qualified applicants are requested to apply by no later than 16 December 2023. Only shortlisted candidates will be responded to.