OCCUPATIONAL HYGIENE TECHNOLOGIST- GABORONE
In its pursuit to become a Competitive Commercial Power Utility within the Region, Botswana Power Corporation invites applications from suitably qualified, highly energetic, dynamic, result oriented, innovative, and customer focused individuals, who believe they can be part of a great team that delivers power to Botswana to apply for the below listed position not later than the 16th December 2023
Main purpose of the position
To provide guidance to leadership to ensure Occupational stressor anticipation, quantification and compliance to assist in the achievement of the Corporation’s goals in accordance with the national and international statutory requirements.
- Coordinates conduction of baseline OH surveys
- Collates data into reports and recommends changes to improve SHER management at departmental level.
- Produces reports based on surveys and presents these to management with recommendations to manage hazards identified
- Develops company OH programme and ensures its implementation to achieve a conducive work environment for employees
- Assess, quantify and develop management controls for stressors and communicates to line management prevalent occupational stressors in the workplace and mitigation measures for these.
- Develops and implements area specific annual OH training plan in liaison with Line management to raise awareness level.
- Facilitates implementation of OH strategic intent in liaison with various stakeholders to ensure that incidences of occupational illness are minimised.
- Conducts surveys, inspections and audits covering all BPC operations to ensure compliance to legal and other requirements as well as standards to which BPC subscribes.
- Ensures that OH risk assessments baseline profiles, homogenous exposure groups (HEGS) are developed, and communicated to line management
- Facilitates and investigate non-conformities and communicate the outcomes to Wellness for inclusion into employees’ medical records
- Provides guidance on the implementation of OH management through development of documented procedures to support the programme.
- Establishes two-way collaboration with Wellness to share incidents of employee exposures and where necessary quantifies the exposure profiles.
- Provides advice to management on OH issues application to the Corporation.
- Develops and implement SHER customer survey
- Effective identification of risks; and obtaining support for key internal SHER projects and execution as a value-adding function in BPC.
- Ensures that all standards in the Corporation’s standards are adhered to.
- Develops a plan for external accredited bodies to conduct area specific quantitative hygiene surveys covering but not limited to physical, chemical, ergonomic, biological and psycho-social factors.
- Effective management of stressors to ensure compliance to statutory requirements as prescribed
- Delivers own prescribed outcomes and/or provides support services by using the organisations safety, health and environment systems and protocols.
- Ensures that all OH contained in the Corporation’s standards or as required are adhered to.
- Participation in evaluation of risk when establishing processes, controls, and systems. Risk Based Thinking ensures that OH risks are incorporated throughout and are addressed holistically.
- Collaboration with other stakeholders; internal and external. Ensure that all service level agreements (SLAs) with relevant stakeholders are in place.
- Implements engagement plans for all internal and external stakeholders.
- A recognised Degree in Environmental Health Sciences or any related field.
- Sound knowledge in implementation of ISO 14001, ISO 45001 and best practice systems.
- Valid Membership of professional bodies will an added advantage.
- A minimum of 3 years post qualification experience with 2 years in occupational Hygiene monitoring and industry related
- A proven track record of effective people and operations management.
- Proven record in Occupational Hygiene field
- Action Oriented
- Customer Focus
- Drive For Results
- Interpersonal Skills
- Management Excellence
- Problem Solving
- Process Management
- Strategic Thinking
- Values Ethic and Integrity
- Decision Making
- Ethical Conduct
- Zero Harm
Interested and suitably qualified applicants are requested to apply by no later than 16th December 2023. Only shortlisted candidates will be responded to.