This position is responsible for maximising plant’s capabilities while minimising production costs.
This position is responsible for maximising plant’s capabilities while minimising production costs. To ensure all maintenance and repairs on the Plant are completed in line with plans to ensure an efficient and effective operation and maintenance of equipment and schedules to achieve/exceed operational targets to maximize plant uptime.
Key Performance Areas
- Accountable for own safety, the safety of Supervisors (Duty of Care). The accountability extends to monitoring of contractors providing services to the Mechanical section. Report positive performance and concerns to the Plant General Superintendent for action.
- Participate in development, training and review of operating procedures and risk assessments.
- Contribute to achieving zero reportable environmental incidents.
- Coordinate task allocation and monitor the quality of work by the Technicians, contractors, and other service providers, follow up on the completion of tasks and projects by proving guidance, feedback, responding to questions and providing instructions on how to complete aspects of the work, within the boundaries described by the Manager.
- Administer and resolve all technical maintenance issues.
- Involve all capital improvement projects and organise various performance appraisals and recommend training programs as per requirement.
- Actively utilise Pronto and the work management system to ensure maintenance work orders and defects are accurately recorded and information is correct and up to date.
- Perform regular audit and resolve all safety control programs within the process plant.
- Efficiently train Supervisors and Technicians and prepare all short/long term programs and ensure achievement of all objectives with required budget.
- Collaborate with various departments to maintain mechanical integrity of all plant programs.
- Analyse all equipment requirements and assist in requisition of all tools and equipment.
- Review and recommend improvements of all SOP procedures and perform troubleshoot on all plant activities and resolve all issues and assist facilities manager to implement all changes.
- Liaise with supervisors to administer the maintenance of all process plant asset including Crushers, Conveyor Systems, Pumps, Pipe Work, SAG Mills, Ball Mill, Vibrating Screens & Feeders, Cranes & Hoists, Compressors, Blowers, tailings and all associated Tanks and Steelworks.
- Supervise the installation of new equipment or modifications to existing equipment.
- Prepare and defend budgets.
- Ensure that all new installations comply with relevant Standards.
- Assist with shutdown co-ordination and execution.
- Monitor costs within the department so to keep within the allocated budget.
- Assist in delivering engineering services to meet the standards and requirements of relevant governmental agencies.
- Strong management and leadership skills will be an advantage.
- Financial, commercial and project management through work experience and courses
- Proven ability to initiate and drive the construction project through its life cycle.
- Commercially astute and able to work effectively with third parties.
- Strong mechanical maintenance competencies in mining and/or extractive metallurgy environment
- Sound project management skills
- Should have analytical skills to be able to evaluate information and solve complex problems.
- Excellent skills in Microsoft PowerPoint, Word, Project and Excel
- To support and motivate the mechanical maintenance team to deliver set KPI’s.
- Build and sustain a team of subordinates capable of producing those outputs.
- Continuously improve the processes used by the team in delivering outputs.
- Finding innovative solutions through creative thinking and problem solving.
Qualification & Experience
- Minimum of bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- Registered with Engineers Registration Board Botswana (ERB).
- An experienced Mechanical Maintenance Engineer/Superintendent with a minimum of five (5) years’ relevant experience as Maintenance Superintendent.
- Experience in management of Maintenance and Repair Contracts (CMMS) and Plant Shutdown Maintenance.
- Experience working in environments with noise, dust, elevated work areas, confined work areas, extremes of temperature, water, slurry.
- Knowledge of Pronto.
- Experience in management and QA/QC on contractor work.