In its pursuit to become a Competitive Commercial Power Utility within the Region, Botswana Power Corporation invites applications from suitably qualified, highly energetic, dynamic, result oriented, innovative, and customer focused individuals, who believe they can be part of a great team that delivers power to Botswana to apply for the below listed position not later than 28th January 2024.
Main purpose of the position
To manage the implementation of the Marketing and Communications Strategy and Programmes, Public Relations and Branding Policies, Systems and Strategies, promote a positive image of the Corporation and educate the public and stakeholders on the mandate, services, activities, role and objectives of the Corporation.
- Formulates the Marketing & Communications strategies, ensuring they are aligned to the BPC Vision, Mission, objectives and values, for approval by the CEO.
- Formulates, defines, reviews and up-dates effective BPC communication, public relations and organisational branding interventions that will create a positive image of the organisation, under the direction of the CEO.
- Plans the division’s activities and maintains direct oversight on all aspects of its operations.
- Provides professional opinion and advice to the BPC Board, the CEO and Management on all matters related to Marketing, Communications and Public Relations.
- Identifies strategic opportunities to enhance operational efficiencies and reduce operating costs through the innovative use of technology, out-sourcing, and the integration of services.
- Provides strategic direction, policy formulation and focus on the continuous appraisal of the effectiveness of current corporate marketing and communication practices and to constantly explore cost effective options in order to sustain and improve corporate performance and targets.
- Reviews existing communications policies and recommends policy changes to the CEO where appropriate, to facilitate the conduct of the Division ’s mandate.
- Develops and reviews public relations and communications and guidelines for BPC.
- Generates ideas and participates in meetings that discuss the development of the BPC communications strategy and plans.
- Implement the approved Communications Plan under the direction of the CEO.
- Develops and monitors the impact of BPC internal and external communications strategies.
- Promotes a positive public image of the Corporation through development and implementation of effective stakeholder involvement initiatives.
- Responds to general correspondence relating to BPC’s public relations and communications activities, seeking CEO’s approval as necessary.
- Monitors public perceptions of the Corporation through the review of various media coverage of the Corporation, and reports any critical issues to CEO, with appropriate recommendations.
- Formulates crisis management communications plans as required, and implements approved plan.
- Acts as chief spokesperson of BPC, under the direction of the CEO..
- Monitors and reviews media relations strategy effectiveness and makes appropriate recommendations for improvement.
- Builds and maintains strong and productive media relations through prudent networking and regular and timely dissemination of clear communiqués as necessary.
- Undertakes periodic brand perception audits, and advises the Corporation on findings, with appropriate recommendations for branding and/or re-branding concepts to CEO, taking into account public perceptions.
- Evaluates competence and recommends appointment of external specialists to guide BPC in the application of the brand identity and corporate standards.
- Develops various activities to promote the BPC brand through various platforms, and obtains CEO approval to launch such activities.
- Verifies that all corporate advertising, media releases, speeches, and other communications collateral are aligned with the corporate branding guidelines.
- Oversee implementation of planned events & ensures the smooth-running and success of events organised by the Corporation.
- Develops, reviews and implements cost effective and value driven systems, processes, standards, procedures, guidelines and instruments that are relevant for the conduct of the department’s work.
- A recognised Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Journalism, Public Relations, Mass Communications, or a related area.
- A Master’s Degree in Business Administration (MBA) and or any other related master’s degree will be an added advantage.
- Membership or Affiliation to professional bodies is added advantage.
- A minimum of ten (10) years of relevant post-qualification experience.
- Of the above five (5) years should have been at a Management level, in the development of marketing strategies, digital systems, communications strategies and plans; with detailed hands-on experience in marketing and media relations.
- Excellent in both written and communications skills and familiarity with brand building and brand management.
- Commerial Awareness
- Continuous Improvement
- Dealing with Ambiguity
- Decision Making
- Drive For Results
- Interpersonal Skills
- Management Excellence
- Strategic Thinking
- Values Ethic and Integrity
Interested and suitably qualified applicants are requested to apply by no later than 28th January 2024. Only shortlisted candidates will be responded to.