LEGAL SERVICES MANAGER – 3 YEAR FIXED TERM CONTRACT
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
The position aids the Legal Counsel/ Board Secretary with the efficient delivery of legal support, advisory services, and secretarial services and in ensuring that the Bank and its subsidiaries maintain compliance with the requisite standards, statutory requirements, internal policies and corporate governance. The incumbent is expected to manage and maintain relationship with key stakeholders such as, regulatory authorities and supervisory bodies. The position reports to the Legal Counsel/ Board Secretary and is tenable in Gaborone.
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS
- Provision of legal advice to the Bank and the Board.
- Drafting of contracts for the Bank.
- Preparation for Board meetings and provision of minute taking services to the Board and its Committees.
- Management of Legal Risk within the Bank.
- Advice on compliance matters.
- Manage legal records.
- Preparation of Departmental reports.
- Provide leadership on Corporate Governance Matters.
- Perform any other duty as may be required.
- Manage external stakeholders including outsourced attorneys.
- Provision of legal advice to the Bank with regard to the legal aspects of loan applications, contracts, labour relations and all general legal matters.
- Facilitate the negotiation, review drafting, vetting and overseeing of all contracts and agreements to ensure that the appropriate governance frameworks are followed and that the legitimate interests of the Bank are protected.
- Develops and implements contract processes and procedures to protect the interests and rights of the Bank.
- Ensures that there is mitigation of exposure to legal risk through due attendance to compliance, adherence to standard and statutory processes and compliance with sound legal support.
- Conducts periodic research and investigation in order to provide an informed legal opinion on various legal matters.
- Implements and maintains an effective documentation and records management system for safekeeping of all contracts, agreements, correspondence and activities in line with statutory and regulatory prescribed time periods and the Banks own requirements.
- Monitor amendments in relevant legislation and regulatory requirements in order to facilitate the Bank’s compliance with prevailing statutory and regulatory requirements, ensuring the implementation of these changes in legislation and regulation within the Bank.
- Facilitate training of relevant stakeholders on changes in legislation and with the induction of new Board members when required.
- Liaise with licensing authorities to ensure that all license requirements for the Bank are in order.
- Assists in maintenance of sound relationships with Regulators and other supervisory bodies, shareholders and other relevant key stakeholders.
- Facilitate appointment of external counsel and monitor their performance.
Board and Company Secretarial Services
- the provision of company secretarial services to the Bank including its subsidiaries.
- The compilation and distribution of board packs for all meetings.
- Regular updating of the Banks Declaration of Interests and other governance registers on behalf of Management and the Board.
- The taking of minutes at all meetings and the timely distribution thereof.
- The preparation for annual general meetings.
- Conduct board induction of new Board Members with the Bank’s environment including the provision of all relevant strategic and operational information, i.e. the Bank’s mandate, policies and strategic objectives, organisational structures, and others as required.
- The provision of professional advice to the Board on best practice in corporate governance, on their roles and responsibilities and further ensure effective discharge thereof.
- Ensure procedural conduct of Board meetings to validate decisions and accurate recording of proceedings therein
- Assist with ensuring that appropriate Board charters are in place.
- Ensure that the resolutions and recommendations of the Board are carried out timeously and coordinate the Board performance evaluations.
- Ensure timeous maintenance of the register of agreements entered into by the Bank and review agreements to affect renewal, termination or variation.
Legal Risk Management
- Conduct a self-assessment on key controls to assess the proper functioning and adequacy of existing legal risk controls within the Bank.
- Assist in the implementation of controls to meet all regulatory and internal requirements.
- Advise on compliance to legislation.
- Ensure the effective management of legal risk within the Bank.
- Bachelor of Laws (LLB)
- At least 8 years relevant post qualification experience.
- Good communication skills including rapport building skills
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Analytical skills
- Pro-active and innovative individual who is performance driven
- Assertive and decisive
- Sound planning and organizing skills
- Achievement and Orientation
Closing date: February 04, 2024