Main Purpose of the Role:
The HSE Officer’s primary responsibility is assess, advise and assist in ensuring compliance to Health, Safety and Environmental systems, through facilitated risk assessments, development and monitoring of implemented control measures at the mine to enable reduction of risk, compliance to mine procedures, standards and legal requirements.
- Ensures Safety and Health non-compliance is identified and rectified in a timely manner.
- Facilitates and monitors compliance to Safety and Health programmes that ensure that effective controls are in place to protect employees and assets.
- Conducts investigations of work-related accidents and incidents in accordance with procedures at the mine.
- Conducts inspection and submits reports
- Facilitates hazard identification and safety risk analysis, develops risk reduction measures and writes reports.
- Monitors compliance to wearing of PPE for identified health and other hazards.
- Facilitates fatigue management reporting to HR.
- Assist in identifying ergonomic stresses, developing an ergonomics programme and SOPs – such as lifting.
- Must be prepared to work shifts.
Competencies and Qualities:
- Outstanding organisational skills.
- Hardworking with great attention to detail and committed to excellence.
- Well-developed creative thinking ability.
- Excellent communication skills at all organizational levels, with the ability to present and explain health and safety topics / experienced trainer.
- Commitment to the application of quality assurance and safety standards.
- Valid driver’s license
- Ability to demonstrate PNR values and core competencies.
Education, Qualifications and Experience:
- Degree/Diploma in Occupational Health & Safety or equivalent.
- 5 years underground mining HSE experience.
- In-depth knowledge on the requirements of Mines, Quarries Works and Machinery Act.
- Proficient in MS Office software;
- Working knowledge of safety management information systems is preferred.
Closing date: November 24, 2023