This role integrates technical services, which includes Mine Planning, Survey, Ventilation, Geotechnical and Geological sections to support the mine’s production functions. The Head of Technical Services will be accountable for developing the life of mine business plans for production aimed at maximising value from the resource to the customer. This function is central to systems and processes that will drive the safe and profitable extraction of coal to enable the mine to meet its performance targets. With a strong strategic focus, the Head of Technical Services must identify strategic resources for development in line with MCM’s long-term production targets.
- Oversee and manage a comprehensive portfolio of technical disciplines, which includes, Geology, Geotechnical, Mine Planning, Survey and Ventilation to meet the requirements and needs of the mine.
- Oversee the management of technical services activities such as development of LOM business plans, exploration drilling, resource and reserve statements, survey activities and mine plan optimisation.
- Provide technical support and expertise to the operation on production and project related matters to ensure safe and profitable extraction of coal.
- Set Geology, Geotechnical, Mine Planning, Survey and Ventilation targets, integrating technical service functions priorities to achieve the required production outputs.
- Direct the implementation of best practice for operational excellence.
- Integrate the production value chain requirements with Technical Services and balance priorities of sub functions to ensure production and functional targets are met.
- Direct and coordinate activities to achieve production performance targets in line with organisational strategy.
- Participate in integrated planning by providing geological, geotechnical, mine survey and ventilation inputs.
- Oversee the implementation of technical assurance processes.
- Ensure each of the technical services function operate according to best practice.
- Ensure that contractors apply sound methodologies when conducting technical activities related to the function.
- Plan and co-ordinate with operations in order to align production volumes and quality with the resource and market requirements by leveraging geology and market intelligence so as to support the overall business marking strategy.
- Continuously drive the improvement in terms of digitalisation and automation by initiating and supporting digital and automation initiatives within technical services functions.
- Manage and plan the availability of the mine rescue team.
- Plan and oversee training for the mine rescue team.
- Provide external reports to the Department of Mines and the Department of Energy.
- Provide internal reports to the business.
- To oversee the competent person’s reports.
- Develop a framework for application of knowledge management principles to ensure effective knowledge capture, exchange, and adaptation.
- Develop a framework for identification and implementation of creative and innovative ideas and processes to ensure continuous business improvement.
- Direct subordinates to achieve individual and team objectives by ensuring the right competence and effectiveness of manpower (capacity building) through developing and implementing training and development plans.
- Ensure compliance to legal requirements, adhering to regional and national laws, as well as international compliance requirements Participate in safety target setting process, setting functional commitments to achieve the targets provided by SHE.
- Assess performance measurements against function specific safety and compliance metrics and manage exceptions appropriately.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with all key stakeholders and partners to ensure achievement of business objectives.
- Management and strategy development.
- Technical knowledge of coal mining, geology, mine survey and ventilation.
- Knowledge of mine planning.
- Strong financial management competency, with the ability to develop a departmental budget and manage spend within budget constraints.
- Ability to stay abreast of industry trends and best practice, and drive the selection, implementation, and adoption of digital transformation technologies into the function.
Minimum Education & Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mining, Geology/Rock Engineering/Survey/Mine Planning. Master’s degree will be an added advantage.
- 10+ years relevant experience in mineral processing environment with 4 years at managerial level.
- Registration with Botswana Engineers’ Registration Board or equivalent.
- Knowledge of SHE Management System ISO 45001: 2018 and ISO 14001: 2015.
We offer a competitive salary package. Prospective candidates must be medically and physically fit and willing to work in an Underground Coal Mining Environment and meet demanding schedules. Candidates who meet the above requirements must apply with certified copies of certificates and a comprehensive curriculum vitae addressed to:
HEAD OF HUMAN RESOURCES
Morupule Coal Mine, Private Bag 35 PALAPYE
Closing date: 03 February 2023
PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND THROUGH FAX AND NOTE THAT RESPONSES WILL ONLY BE MADE TO APPLICANTS CONSIDERED FOR INTERVIEW