The Head of Safety and Sustainability is responsible for developing, implementing, and managing safety, health and sustainability policies and procedures of the company. The role is responsible for the company’s environmental impact by evaluating both the current and future impact on the environment of our company business activities and guiding on how to increase the companies’ sustainable practices into the future, setting the decarbonisation strategy and roadmap of the organisation. The Head of S&S will be accountable for monitoring performance and setting the standards and targets for the business and provides operational guidance to the Board, CEO, and the senior management team to enable holistic decision making.
- Develop and drive execution of the overall Safety, Health and Environment functional strategy, aligned to the MCM strategic business plan.
- Define the mine’s SHE agenda and set parameters for the development, implementation and monitoring of programmes related to safety, occupational health, environment, mine closure planning, legal compliance, operational risk assurance and emergency planning.
- Develop and manage the SHE budget to ensure the function is enabled to execute its objectives.
- Formulate and lead the implementation of safety policies and protocols to ensure a safe working environment for all MCM employees.
- Ensure mine processes are aligned to both ISO 45001 and ISO 14001 standards requirements.
- Ensure legal compliance of mine processes regarding safety requirements.
- Identify and lead digital transformation initiatives aimed at streamlining safety processes and implementing technologies to improve safety across operations.
- Drive an organisational culture that emphasises employee health and wellness through the implementation of site wide occupational hygiene and health awareness initiatives.
- Ensure adequate health and hygiene facilities are available to all MCM employees.
- Oversee formulation of decarbonisation strategy that will enable MCM to achieve its emissions targets.
- Oversee the portfolio of energy efficiency and energy supply initiatives to ensure that these efforts are on track to achieve strategic objectives.
- Drive execution of sustainability initiatives in line with MCM strategy for the betterment of the environment.
- Ensure mine closure plans and rehabilitation programmes are executed to adhere to legislative requirements.
- Investigate and drive implementation of innovative solutions to reduce carbon emissions and environmental impact, such as off-grid energy solutions.
- Develop community relations strategy and programmes designed to make positive contributions to communities
- Develops emergency preparedness stakeholders’ plan in the MCM surroundings and ensures its activities support and improve MCM’s emergency preparedness intents.
- Provide the framework for identification and implementation of creative and innovative ideas and processes to ensure continuous business improvement within the function.
- Define SHE reporting systems and mechanisms, and issue regular management reports to inform senior leadership on key performance areas.
- Manage the SHE quality assurance programme in accordance with set governance protocols and principles.
- Define and initiate SHE and sustainability projects, ensuring that all projects are managed and executed in accordance with best practice principles.
- Manage key performance areas of subordinates by setting, monitoring, and reviewing performance and taking remedial action as necessary.
- Understanding of SHE management system (ISO 14001 and ISO 45001) requirements and its application in operations processes.
- Strong risk management skill sets, with the ability to identify organisational risks and propose mitigating actions, and to maintain an updated risk register.
- Strong change leadership with the ability to influence people for compliance and adherence to SHE standards.
- Ability to stay abreast of industry trends and best practice, and drive the selection, implementation, and adoption of digital transformation technologies into the function.
Minimum Education & Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Safety, Health, and Environment Management. Master’s degree will be an added advantage.
- 10+ years relevant experience with 3 years at a managerial level.
- Management Development Programme, Certified Safety Professional, Sustainability and Climate Risk (SCR) Certificate and Certified Safety and Health Manager (CSHM) will be an added advantage.
- Knowledge of SHE Management System ISO 45001: 2018 and ISO 14001: 2015.
We offer a competitive salary package. Prospective candidates must be medically and physically fit and willing to work in an Underground Coal Mining Environment and meet demanding schedules. Candidates who meet the above requirements must apply with certified copies of certificates and a comprehensive curriculum vitae addressed to:
HEAD OF HUMAN RESOURCES
Morupule Coal Mine, Private Bag 35 PALAPYE
Closing date: 03 February 2023
PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND THROUGH FAX AND NOTE THAT RESPONSES WILL ONLY BE MADE TO APPLICANTS CONSIDERED FOR INTERVIEW