Botswana Examinations Council (BEC) is mandated under Section 5 of the Botswana Examinations Council Act CAP 58:03 (as Amended by BEC Amendment Act No. 19 of 2020) to manage and conduct examinations and assessment in general education and Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET). BEC has developed a new strategy and consequently, a new structure that is aligned to the strategy. The organization wishes to attract into the following positions, results oriented professionals, with solid leadership experience, who are driven by a passion for excellence.
– HEAD LEGAL SERVICES X 1
Main purpose of the job
Oversee, plan and manage the provision of legal services to BEC, and ensure that authoritative and high quality advice, opinion, assistance, support and inputs are provided on all legal and regulatory matters. Serve as the corporate secretariat for BEC’s governing bodies: the Council and its sub-committees. Expertly guide the work of own team, steer them towards effective delivery of the Department’s mandate and achievement of its goals, and ensure optimal use of all resources within the Department.
Position and Requirements
Key Performance Areas
• Quality of legal advice, assistance and support (cost-effective, usefulness, authoritative, speed, timely, comprehensiveness)
• Secure, up to date, complete legal records Minimised/mitigated legal risks
• Compliance with the Council’s statutory requirements and other legislative requirements
• Protection of the Council’s interests in contract negotiations and agreements.
• Efficient provision of secretarial services to the Governing Council and its sub-committees (timely, accurate, prompt)
Qualification and Experience
• At least a Degree in Law from a recognised institution and a license to practice law in Botswana. Membership of the Botswana Law Society and admitted to practice in courts of the Republic of Botswana
• At least 10 years similar experience post-qualification, 3 of which should have been spent as a Corporation Lawyer in a large organisation.
• Communication and Interpersonal skills
• Conflict management
• Negotiation, persuasion, advocacy, networking, relationship building and stakeholder management
• Organisational (planning, budgeting, time management, work prioritisation) Project / contract / procurement management
• Research, critical thinking, analytical & problem-solving
• Strategy and policy development
If you meet the above requirements pleases submit you application letters including updated curriculum vitae with three (3) traceable referees, certified Omang and certified certificates to:
The Director Human Capital Private Bag 0070
And e-mail application email@example.com
We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.Applications with incomplete documentation or received after the closing date will not be considered.
The closing date for applications is the 1st December 2023.