Reporting to the Board of Directors and with a dotted line to the CEO the incumbent will be responsible for the provision of in-house legal counsel and services to the organisation and its Board of Directors as well as providing secretarial services for the Board and its sub-committees. The Head, LBS also monitors adherence to national and international standards of corporate governance in order to protect the integrity of the organisation.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
1. Act as the organisation’s lead advisor on matters relating to legal probity and risk management to ensure that high standards exist in the discharge of the organisation’s functions.
2. Advise the Board and relevant internal stakeholders on the application of resources to minimise, monitor and control the probabilities and impact of threats or legal disputes and to maximise the realisation of business opportunities.
3. Oversee the Interpretation of legal information and devise and implement measures so that Legal Services are developed cost effectively to support operational and service policies, strategies, business plans and programs.
4. Develop and ensure the implementation of contracts, processes and procedures which follow the provisions of the Act and all other statutory requirements and legislation to protect the asset and rights of the organisation.
5. Establish and ensure the efficient implementation of procedures for the recovery of accounts receivable to minimise outstanding debtors and cost of recoveries of amounts due to the Bank.
6. Develop and deliver strategies for the delivery of high quality and cost-effective legal services to reduce costs, increase efficiency and maximise external income, as well as to strengthen the resilience of the legal services provided.
7. Act as lead advisor to the Board of Directors on matters relating to corporate governance in order to guarantee high standards exist in the discharge of the Bank’s functions.
8. Ensure that support services to elected Board Members are delivered to the highest quality and professional standards.
9. Oversee and ensure that proper authorisation processes and corporate governance policies are followed, and responsibilities effectively discharged, so that the Bank meets both statutory requirements and best practice standards.
10. Act as the custodian of the organisation’s legal documents.
11. Keep abreast of legal and corporate governance developments and ensure that the organisation operates in accordance with best practice.
12. Recommend instituting legal action to protect the interests of the organisation and prepare documentation for filing in appropriate courts.
13. Ensure the preparation and submission of key reports to ensure compliance with statutory reporting requirements.
14. Provide legal advice and assistance in other operational areas and activities including labour disputes, property and contract administration to protect the organisations interests.
15. Ensure that the Board meets in accordance with statutory requirements and coordinate the delivery of administrative services to facilitate Board meetings.
16. Coordinate the preparation of Board papers and ensure that papers are distributed to Board members.
17. Attend Board meetings, ensure that minutes are taken and provide the Board with legal advice and opinions as required.
18. Advise the Board and its committees on matters of compliance with statutory governance requirements and good governance practices to protect the interests of the organisation and its customers and to ensure that directors and officers of the organisation adopt good governance practices in both their professional and personal capacities.
19. Oversee all legal actions the organisation is involved in and act for, and on behalf of, the organisation as counsel before the courts, legal committees, labour offices, boards and other judicial bodies or guide and supervise the actions of local or international external legal advisors on complex cases.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Law and admitted to practice in Botswana.
• Master’s degree in Law with a specialisation in commercial law is an added advantage.
• Eight (8) years’ experience working in a corporate environment with demonstrable experience in commercial law. Detailed knowledge of Botswana’s financial legislation and legal practices is essential.
BSB offers attractive remuneration package to the most suitable candidates.
Interested and qualified
Applications clearly marked with the position being applied for in the subject line and latest CVs (providing at least three referees) and certified copies of educational certificates should be sent to the following email address firstname.lastname@example.org on or before the 23rd May 2021.