GRADUATE TRAINEE CONTROL ROOM ENGINEER (X2)
In its pursuit to become a Competitive Commercial Power Utility within the Region, Botswana Power Corporation invites applications from suitably qualified, highly energetic, dynamic, result oriented, innovative, and customer focused individuals, who believe they can be part of a great team that delivers power to Botswana to apply for the below listed position not later than 4th October 2023.
Main purpose of the position
To supervise and control operations of power plant during shifts to ensure safe, efficient, and cost-effective operations and effective resolution of technical problems.
- Allocates duties and responsibilities and ensures effective use of the man hours available
- Monitors the achievement of operational targets to ensure the attainment of overall capability plans
- Checks the plant on a routine basis for any deviation from the operational parameters and ensuring that the power plant is operated safely and efficiently
- Provides technical support for staff on operations procedures and in relation to plant and equipment being operated in the power plant to ensure continuous operation.
- Supervises and controls re-commissioning of plant and equipment after repair or maintenance to ensure equipment reliability.
- Supervises operational activities in accordance with the set Quality Management System
- Identifies shortcomings, suggests improvements, and implements approved revisions to current compliance processes, systems and procedures within assigned unit and/or discipline.
- Supervises assigned projects by working within an established program management plan
- Supervises power plant activities and release of equipment within the Outage Plan
- Delivers prescribed outcomes by working as directed within established data management systems and procedures
- Produces accurate reports for others by collecting data from a variety of standard sources and inputting that data into standard formats.
- Prepares technical reports on the condition and activities of the plant including incidents/accidents to ensure awareness of plant activities and current problems
- Diagnosis and analyses plant reliability incidents and implements remedial action plan to prevent future occurrences
- Liaises with National Control Centre on impending outages and operations
- Manages relationships with clients to ensure their needs are met in accordance with the set Service Level Agreements
- Identifies and implements cost containment initiatives, monitors and analyses data as directed using budgeting systems and protocols.
- Identify operational needs and developmental budget according to budgeting systems and protocols.
- Identifies shortcomings and suggests improvements to existing processes, systems and procedures in compliance with the Management of Change Procedures
- Reviews and recommends amendments or improvements to the policies and procedures.
- Carries out on-the-job training to increase the flexibility, efficiency and capability of the team.
- Manages the motivation and discipline of staff in area of responsibility in line with laid down procedures to realize the Corporation’s objectives
- Manages the performance of the team by working within an established performance management system
- Proposes and implements staff development plans for the area of responsibility to ensure competent, efficient and motivated staff.
- Adheres to the Corporation’s SHE Book and Provides support services by using the organization’s safety, health and environment systems and protocols.
- Participates in safety inspections and reports on findings to maintain safety of personnel and good housekeeping of the plant.
- Issues and cancels safety documents to facilitate repair and maintenance work to be carried out in accordance with BPCs safety standards and procedures.
- A recognised Bachelor of Engineering or Bachelor of Science in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- Membership of the Engineers Registration Board Botswana (ERB) is required.
- Senior Authorisation is required (within 6 months for internal candidates and 12 months for external candidates from the date of appointment).
- A valid Class B Driver’s License is required.
- At least three (3) years relevant experience in a power plant environment of which one (1) should have been at a supervisory level.
- Action Oriented
- Customer Focus
- Drive For Results
- Interpersonal Skills
- Management Excellence
- Problem Solving
- Process Management
- Strategic Thinking
- Values Ethic and Integrity
Interested and suitably qualified applicants are requested to apply by no later than 4th October 2023. Only shortlisted candidates will be responded to.