GENERAL MANAGER GENERATION – DESIGNATE (X1)
In its pursuit to become a Competitive Commercial Power Utility within the Region, Botswana Power Corporation invites applications from suitably qualified, highly energetic, dynamic, result oriented, innovative, and customer focused individuals, who believe they can be part of a great team that delivers power to Botswana as the General Manager Generation Designate to apply for the below listed position not later than 21st October 2023.
Main purpose of the position
- To manage the Generation department and achieve agreed ﬁnancial targets; as well as ensure that the Corporation’s Generation systems conform to agreed industry standards in terms of plant availability, technical eﬃciency, and safety to meet projected customer demand at an acceptable cost and risk.
- The incumbent will contribute to the formulation of policy, plans, and standards within the department for adherence to established corporate governance principles and practices. The incumbent will participate in the management of all Generation services from plant commissioning and will be responsible for coordination with new Generation developments.
- Under people management, they will ensure an aligned team by implementing the BPC culture and, values. Maintaining a safe and proactive work environment, and actively promoting a culture of “safety ﬁrst” and zero harm throughout the Corporation.
- Implement an organisational development and design philosophy that enables BPC to meet its strategic vision.
- Generation policies, procedures and standards adhere to the principle of optimising all resources used during generation operations
- Optimising plant operations
- Takes responsibility for developing and delivering technical and services relevant to Generation matters are provided to all BPC departments.
- Document the unit cost of generation per key cost category t/kWh.
- Maintain % of power availability is within set parameters.
- Ensures Energy sent out GWh is within agreed targets.
- Implement mechanisms that enables regular and scheduled liaison between BPC and the recognised organised labour representatives.
- Implement purposeful interventions to ensure a healthy, positive corporate climate, and for all interventions to be incorporated into relevant BPC strategic initiatives.
- Implementation of skills retention programmes to develop competent and motivated employees.
- Manages the development and/or delivery of budget plans for own department.
- Implement and manage planned Generation related expenditure in accordance with the annual budget.
- Manage the cost of service delivery to departments and central functions are on par with, or cheaper than external service support costs.
- Maintain total cost of supply t/kWh is within set parameters.
- To provide continuous learning interventions and to monitor active participation of employees in continuous learning interventions.
- Identifies shortcomings, suggests improvements and implements approved revisions to current compliance processes, systems and procedures within assigned unit and/or discipline.
- Identifies shortcomings, then suggests and implements improvements to existing business practices, while developing and delivering projects or a work stream within the organization’s change management program with guidance from senior colleagues.
- Implement active change management initiatives that are driven with strategic direction.
- Takes responsibility for developing organizational policies within an area of expertise for an extensive area of the business, then oversees their implementation within the organization.
- Develop and implement a People development strategy within BPC in line with best practices.
- Implement and manage effective Performance Management system throughout BPC and to ensure the success of the programme.
- Review the performance of employees as per the BPC Performance Management system and as per the target dates and is monitored within the set timeframes
- Delivers own prescribed outcomes and/or provides support services by using the organisations safety, health and environment systems and protocols.
- Control measures are put in place to avoid or at least limit the potential for the occurrences of fatalities.
- Control measures are put in place to limit potential pollution caused by BPC operations.
- An Engineering degree or equivalent from a recognised university.
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration will be an advantage.
- Membership of the Botswana Engineering Registration Board or equivalent is required.
- A valid Class B Driver’s License.
- A minimum of eight (8) years relevant post qualiﬁcation experience, with at least ﬁve (5) years having been in a senior management capacity in the power generation industry or related industry.
- Knowledge and experience in the maintenance of coal-fired power generation is an added advantage.
- Knowledge of safety protocols is mandatory.
- Drive For Results
- Decision Making
- Interpersonal Skills
- Dealing with Ambiguity
- Management Excellence
- Values Ethic and Integrity
- Strategic Thinking
- Commercial Awareness
Interested and suitably qualified applicants are requested to apply by no later than 21st October 2023. Only shortlisted candidates will be responded to.