ENVIRONMENTAL OFFICER – GABORONE
In its pursuit to become a Competitive Commercial Power Utility within the Region, Botswana Power Corporation invites applications from suitably qualified, highly energetic, dynamic, result oriented, innovative, and customer focused individuals, who believe they can be part of a great team that delivers power to Botswana to apply for the below listed position not later than 16th December 2023
Main purpose of the position
To develop, coordinate and monitor SHER management systems in order to achieve requirements of ISO 14001 to ensure compliance with BPC’s integrated SHER performance standards and relevant statutory requirements.
- Coordinates the monitoring and measurement of environmental performance in accordance with BPC’s integrated SHER standards.
- Participates in the development of BPC’s SHER performance standards in line with best practice standards such as ISO 14001.
- Establishes, implements, and maintains an environmental management system (pollution control – air, ground, and water) in accordance with BPC’s SHER and recognised certification bodies.
- Facilitates internal SHER audits and external audits.
- Facilitates and participates in environmental impact assessment for major projects as guided by the Environmental Assessment Act regulations and thresholds.
- Develop, Review and Update ESIA/EIA’s & EMPs.
- Prepares periodic (monthly, quarterly, and annual) reports on environmental related issues and submit report to the SHER Superintendent.
- Compiles and maintains environmental database registers
- Provides input in the development and facilitates implementation of the SHER strategic and business plans in line with BPC’S Corporate Strategy and Business Plan.
- Identifies environmental risks arising out of BPC’s operations and makes recommendations on environmental policies to be adopted by the Corporation.
- Reports to SHER Superintendent on performance of environmental management system and makes recommendations to facilitate continual improvement in environmental management system.
- Carries out induction training on environmental issues for new staff.
- Conducts environmental awareness to all stakeholders.
- Advises management and employees on environmental management issues and relevant statutory requirements applicable to the organisation.
- Ensures that all SHE Performance standards Safety, Health and Environmental contained in the Corporation’s standards are adhered to.
- A recognised Degree in Environmental Management/ Environmental Science / Environmental Engineering.
- Five (5) years post qualification experience of which three (3) years should have been in an industrial environment.
- Action Oriented
- Customer Focus
- Drive For Results
- Ethical Conduct
- Interpersonal Skills
- Management Excellence
- Problem Solving
- Process Management
- Strategic Thinking
- Values Ethic and Integrity
- Zero Harm
- Decision Making
Interested and suitably qualified applicants are requested to apply by no later than 16th December 2023. Only shortlisted candidates will be responded to.