ENGINEER – STANDARDS & TECHNOLOGY (X1)-GABORONE
In its pursuit to become a Competitive Commercial Power Utility within the Region, Botswana Power Corporation invites applications from suitably qualified, highly energetic, dynamic, result oriented, innovative, and customer focused individuals, who believe they can be part of a great team that delivers power to Botswana to apply for the below listed position not later than 4th October 2023
Main purpose of the position
To plan, organise and supervise the testing and evaluation of electricity distribution equipment and materials against set standards to ensure procurement of good quality products.
- Plans and supervise testing and inspection of new products and processes to ensure compliance to set standards.
- Investigate causes of defects related to product usage and develop solutions to minimize or prevent recurrence.
- Participate in supply chain tender evaluations and provide technical guidance to the evaluation committee to certify procurement of complaint material and equipment.
- Compiles and document newly procured defective or non-compliant material or equipment data and notify supplier or manufacturer for correction.
- Attends and witnesses of factory acceptance tests procedures for Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) to ensure compliance of BPC specifications and relevant international standards.
- Plans and supervises pilot projects and introduction of new equipment.
- Represents BPC in national and international technical forums
- Uses product specifications to design test procedures and standards.
- Procure departmental equipment and tools to ensure that tests are done in an effective and efficient manner.
- Highlights shortcomings and suggests improvements in current compliance processes, systems and procedures within assigned unit and/or discipline.
- Compiles technical reports on equipment performance and submit to the Section Head.
- Monitors new equipment life cycle and their performance to gather feedback from end users
- Provide technical consulting and investigation service for customers such as contractors and distribution teams to address challenges on sites
- Addresses suppliers, manufacturers and contractors inquires or complaints and give technical advice to promote client relationship and customer satisfaction
- Identifies shortcomings in existing processes, systems and procedures, then uses established change management programs to deliver outcomes and/or provide support services.
- Designing new structures and coming up with solutions to address defects in the system and amend SRDS drawings.
- Provides advice on designing new processes and systems to achieve professional standards and desired outcomes.
- Adheres to all Safety Health and Environmental and Risk standards contained in the Corporation’s SHER policies and procedures.
- Promotes safety awareness in line with SHER requirements through periodic audits to ensure compliance to set safety standards.
- Manages the motivation and discipline of staff in area of responsibility in line with laid down procedures to realize the Corporation’s objectives
- Manages the performance of the team by working within a performance management system
- Identifies gaps, proposes and implements staff development plans for the area of responsibility to ensure competent, efficient and motivated staff
- Recognized Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent
- Professional Membership of the Engineering Registration Board (ERB) is required.
- Class B Drivers Licence is required
- Senior Authorisation is an added advantage
- At least five (5) years post qualification experience in the power environment, two (2) years of which should have been in electricity supply industry.
- Action Oriented
- Customer Focus
- Drive For Results
- Interpersonal Skills
- Management Excellence
- Problem Solving
- Process Management
- Strategic Thinking
- Values Ethic and Integrity
Interested and suitably qualified applicants are requested to apply by no later than4th October 2023 . Only shortlisted candidates will be responded to.