OFFICE OF THE CHIEF OPERATIONS OFFICER
DEPARTMENT OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
DIRECTOR (CONTRACT POSITION)
VACANCY NO: COO/IT01/2024
The University of Botswana seeks to recruit a Director in the Department of Information Technology. This position plays a critical role in enhancing operational efficiencies and improving productivity, leveraging on Information Technology solutions to the University’s challenges.
- To plan, coordinate and develop the provision and delivery of information services technology to meet communications, information processing, storage and retrieval needs of the University.
- To enhance the cost-effective delivery of academic and administrative services and objectives and the provision of management information.
- To advise the University Community on the adoption of IT standards, strategies, and policies.
- To control and authorize expenditure against approved budget.
- Designs and ensures implementation of appropriate disaster preparation and data recovery plans.
- Liaises with local, regional, and international communication providers to ensure that the University Community’s information driven communication needs are met.
- Manages the technical support of application software to ensure its optimum performance through participation in software and hardware selections, on-going market surveys and upgrading of software in accordance with license agreements.
- A minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or related area. A relevant Master’s degree will be an added advantage.
- At least ten (10) years of relevant experience, 5 of which should have been in senior Management in a large organization.
- Deep understanding of digital technologies, including cloud computing, data analytics, cybersecurity, artificial intelligence, and Internet of Things (IoT).
- Strong knowledge of digital trends, industry best practices, and emerging technologies.
- Experience in developing and implementing strategic plans and digital transformation roadmaps.
- Excellent leadership and management skills, with the ability to inspire and motivate a team.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, with a focus on innovation and continuous improvement.
- Exceptional communication and collaboration skills, with the ability to effectively convey technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders.
- Demonstrated experience in budget management and resource allocation.
- Must be fully familiar with the major operating systems and platform, and conversant with 4GL programming tools among others.
Remuneration: The University of Botswana offers a competitive salary and benefits commensurate with experience and qualifications. For more information on the University, please visit our website www.ub.bw
How to apply: letters of applications are to address the stated qualifications and provide any other information to assist the University to determine the applicants’ suitability for the position. Applicants should quote the vacancy number of the post applied for; provide current CVs (including telephone, telex and telefax numbers and e-mails), certified true copies of educational certificates, transcripts and three (3) reference letters.
Applicants should also inform their referees to (i) Quote the Vacancy Number(s) and Position applied for and (ii) Submit their references directly to the address below before the stipulated closing date.
Send your applications to: The Office of the Chief Operations Officer, University of Botswana, Private Bag 0022, Gaborone, Botswana, Telephone: (+267) 3552120/4742/5335. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hand delivered applications should be submitted to Office No. 313/304 at 108 (Third floor, Administration Building)
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Closing Date: 12th February 2024