DEPARTMENT: ANIMAL PRODUCTION
VACANCY NO. 21 OF 2023
REF: MOA/4/9/2 I DATE: 21 September 2023
VACANCY: DIRECTOR- DEPARTMENT OF ANIMAL PRODUCTION – E1
VACANCY CODE: 050700423.1.4
Applications are invited from suitably qualified citizens of Botswana for the position of Director. Department
of Animal Production in the Ministry of Agriculture, on a contract of 24-36 months.
Salary Scale: E1 (P487 752. 00 to P507 480.00 per annum)
Leave: 30 working days per annum
i) For new entrants to the Public Service, a contract of 24 to 36 months with gratuity payable atthe rate of 30%.
ii) Optional contributory Medical Aid Scheme with Botswana Public Officer Medical Aid Scheme (BPOMAS) (Government pays 50% and the employee 50%). However, in the event the applicant has been subscribing to any other Medical Aid Schemes besides BPOMAS an option to continue membership with that Medical Scheme will be allowed. Government undertakes to contribute an amount equivalent to the portion that the employee would have been entitled to under BPOMAS.
A Bachelor of Science in Animal Science or Agriculture or a related field.
The officer must have at least sixteen (16) years work experience in the field of livestock production of which two (2) years must have been served as Deputy Director or equivalent.
Main Purpose of the Job
To coordinate, direct and manage all livestock production and products programmes at national level in order to promote the development and growth of the livestock industry.
Key Performance Areas
• Advises the Ministry on livestock production policies and strategies needed to achieve the goals set by government.
• Collaborates with relevant stakeholders on matters relating to livestock production.
• Prepares Cabinet and policy papers on matters relating to the livestock production
• Guides the development and implementation of departmental strategies and annual performance plans.
• Implements commodity value chain recommendations.
• Plans the development, growth and productivity of the livestock industry.
• Liaises with agricultural research institutions and Botswana Bureau of Standards on livestock feeds formulation and product specifications.
• Mentors, guides and monitors the performance of supervisees to meet new challenges and provide future leaders.
Required Skills and Competencies
Analytical and Strategic Thinking
Deciding and Initiating Action
Teamwork and Partnering
Drive for Results
Planning and Execution
Supervision and Accountability
Innovating and Driving Change
Focusing on Customers
Delivering Quality Servicec
JOB APPLICATION DETAILS
Quote the vacancy Code No. of the post and give the following details:-
I. Brief summary of career with duties (Curriculum Vitae).
II. Date of First Appointment
III. Present post, salary scale and date of appointment thereto.
IV. Copies of certificates.
V. Two referees.
All applications from serving Public Officers MUST be routed their through Permanent Secretaries and/or Heads of Departments. Applications NOT so routed will not be considered Only shortlisted candidates will be responded to.
Applications should be addressed to:
Ministry of Agriculture
Private Bag 003
Or hand delivered to the below physical address:
Ministry of Agriculture
Head Quarters. Fourth floor – Office No. 424.
Applications not accompanied by all the stipulated documents will not be considered.
For further information, please contact Human Resource Office at 3689096/3689079.
Closing Date: 20th October 2023 @ 1630hrs