Title: Data Governance Manager
Purpose of the Role
The Data Governance Manager is responsible for managing and overseeing the governance and quality of all data within the company. This includes monitoring and ensuring that data is accurate, complete, and up-to date; that data security and privacy are maintained; and data is used effectively to support decision-making.
Key Job Responsibilities
- Interprets the financial needs of the digital project portfolio to secure adequate financial resources to meet business objectives that underpin the portfolio
- Prioritises the identified portfolio opportunities effectively to ensure budget compliance during portfolio execution.
- Develops and manages the implementation of data governance frameworks, policies, and procedures to ensure data integrity, security, and compliance with relevant regulations and best practices
- Oversees and implements a data governance program by establishing the necessary structures and roles which are responsible for decision making and issue resolution
- Collaborates with key stakeholders to define the organisation’s data strategy, including data collection, storage, analysis, and dissemination, aligning it with business objectives
- Establishes and manages robust data security and privacy measures, including access controls, data encryption, data anonymization, and data breach response plans
- Supports data analytics initiatives by providing structured and accessible data sets to analysts, data scientists, and other stakeholders, ensuring data availability and accuracy for decision-making
- Fosters a data-driven culture within the organisation by promoting the value of data, data driven decision-making and data literacy
- Develops and manages the implementation of processes for data lifecycle management, including data ingestion, transformation, storage, and archival, in line with industry best practices
- Defines and enforces data quality standards and performs regular audits to identify and address data quality issues, collaborating with relevant teams to improve data accuracy and completeness
- Generate data quality reports and dashboards to provide insights into data quality trends and performance
- Collaborates with cross-functional teams, such as IM, analytics, and business units, to understand data needs, identify data gaps, and provide effective solutions to optimize data management processes
- Develops training programs and documentation to educate employees on data management best practices, data governance policies, and data privacy regulations
- Stays up to date with emerging trends and technologies in data management, identifies opportunities for innovation and improvement, and lead the adoption of new tools and platforms
- Initiates, monitors and controls short term sectional projects to ensure attainment of desired results
- Implements knowledge management principles through application of tools and methodologies to continuously improve and sustain business performance
- Identifies and implements creative and innovative ideas to continuously improve and sustain business performance
- Establishes and maintains effective relationships with all key stakeholders and partners to ensure achievement of business objectives
- Manages and coordinates the implementation of safety, health and environmental programme in area of responsibility
Other Job Responsibilities
- Acquire knowledge on the implementation of safety, health and environmental programmes
- Bachelor’s Degree: Business, Engineering, Finance, Humanities, IT, Science, etc
• 8 years post qualification experience •
Significant experience in data management practices, including data governance, and data quality management.
• Capability in designing, implementing, and maintaining data governance programs within organisations.
• Agile development methodologies and practices.
• Leading and working with cross-functional teams.
• Working on digital initiatives in the mining industry is advantageous.
• Good understanding of the full mine value chain is advantageous
Legal Certification/Professional Registration
- Enabling Technical Excellence
- Responsible SHE Practices
- Project and Programme Management
- Governance and Controls
- Solution Delivery Methodologies (Agile, DataOps, DevOps, DevSecOps, MLOps)
- Business Analysis
- Business Process Analysis and Integration
- Data analysis
- Design Thinking
- Achievement Orientation
- Planning, Coordination and Execution
- Judgement and Decision Making
- Impact & Influence
- Concern for Safety, Health and the Environment
- Service Orientation
- Building Partnerships
- Teamwork & Collaboration
Debswana is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Please note that we only contact shortlisted candidates.
Job Segment: Database, Data Management, Business Process, Compliance, Data Analyst, Technology, Data, Management, Legal