Création Africa Initiative for Cultural Entrepreneurs
Apply for Création Africa, a groundbreaking initiative by the French Ministry of Europe and Foreign Affairs, coordinated by the Embassy of France and the French Institute of South Africa (IFAS).
The project aims to boost and support cultural entrepreneurship in South Africa, Lesotho, and Malawi. Création Africa: South Africa, Lesotho and Malawi is based on a holistic approach that combines mentorship, incubation, training, funding and networking to support cultural entrepreneurs at all stages of their journey, but with a focus on entrepreneurs at the ideation phase and early-stage.
Création Africa aims to support a vibrant and sustainable ecosystem for cultural entrepreneurship in Africa by collaborating with local and international incubators and businesses, institutions and partners. Création Africa will operate under the oversight of Team France, ensuring effective governance and strategic guidance.
Objectives of Création Africa: South Africa, Lesotho and Malawi
- Stimulate and support cultural entrepreneurship in South Africa, Lesotho and Malawi.
- Bolster the CCIs in South Africa, Lesotho and Malawi.
- Promote international cooperation, business development and external investment.
- Connect entrepreneurs with their peers in Africa and Europe through an immersion programme.
- Encourage cultural entrepreneurs to adopt sustainable practices in their projects and businesses.
- The initiative understands the barriers faced by CCI entrepreneurs ready for global scalability: limited resources, high tech costs, network and infrastructure access.Requirements
The application is open to all entrepreneurs within the Cultural and Creative Industries (CCI) from South Africa, Lesotho and Malawi.
- Be over 18 years old.
- Be residents of South Africa, Lesotho or Malawi.
- Be motivated to complete the entire programme minimum 7 months including the immersion programme.
- Have a cultural entrepreneurship business project in the ideation phase or early stage in the CCI sector.
- Have at least a business model and/or a proof of concept ready even in an early phase.
- Be willing to actively engage in all stages of the programme and participate in all hosted events (such as Pitch day, investors pitch, sectorial events, etc.)
- Be prepared to travel to any other designated city or country to participate in an event or workshop. As
part of this mission, all necessary travel expenses for events, workshops, or any other related activities will be covered.
The Cultural and Creative Industries (CCI) encompass a diverse range of sectors that contribute to cultural and economic development. The specific sectors can vary, but commonly recognized ones include, but is not limited to, the following:
- Visual Arts: Painting, sculpture, photography, and other visual arts.
- Performing Arts: Theater, dance, music, circus, and live performances.
- Film and Television: Production, direction, and distribution of films and TV shows.
- Music: Composition, production, and distribution of music.
- Publishing: Books, magazines, newspapers, and other printed materials.
- Design: Graphic design, industrial design, fashion design, etc.
- Fashion: Apparel, accessories, and related industries.
- Architecture: Architectural design and related services.
- Gaming: Video games, board games, and related interactive experiences.
- Crafts: Design craft.
- Cultural Heritage: Museums, archives, preservation, and restoration.Grants and Financial Support
- The 12 projects selected will receive financial support as a leverage effect to scale up their businesses in the form of grants from the French Embassy/French Institute.
- Grant Allocation: The amount disbursed will be determined by the incubator and the jury based on the specific needs and potential outlined by the project owners or entrepreneurs to scale up.Phases of the Création Africa Project
- Call for Cultural Entrepreneurs: from 14th December to 26th January 2024/6 weeks
- Mentorship Programme: from 12th February to 8th March/4 weeks
- Evaluation and Final Selection: Mid-March
Incubation Phase: from 18th March to 31st July 2024/20 weeks
- Immersion (acceleration) programme/The immersion programme will start in between the incubation programme and will run till the end of SeptemberHow to Apply
For more information and job application details, see; Création Africa Initiative for Cultural Entrepreneurs