This position is responsible for monitoring the control system to ensure control loops are well tuned.
The Control System Engineer is responsible for fault finding of plant issues as they are expected to have the ability to dig into the detail of process fault causality. The Engineer will also be responsible for implementing new control system improvements/control loops under the guidance of the Senior Metallurgist.
Key Performance Areas
- Identify downtime root causes and implement preventative maintenance programs to eliminate downtime causes, attaining budgeted availability.
- Ensure compliance with legally required equipment inspections.
- Deliver control maintenance to the agreed budgetary constraints.
- Ensure that control system design and change records are kept in hard and /or soft copies in accordance with the set standards.
- Adhere to mine HSES procedures.
- Monitor the process plant to ensure optimum performance is maintained.
- Establishes standards and policies for installation, modification, quality control, testing, inspection, and maintenance according to engineering principles and safety regulations.
- Work in conjunction with the E&I maintenance of the plant and systems, and co-ordinates the requirements for new SCADA and PLC software, and maintenance schedules.
- Knowledge in asset management, including preventative maintenance of the SCADA & PLC systems, is essential.
- Good understanding of the E&I processes and systems and quality management.
- Experience in implementation of a Computerised Maintenance Management systems will be an added advantage.
- Knowledge of using tools such as RCM in developing maintenance schedules is advantageous.
- Knowledge of HSES management is essential.
Qualification & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering majoring in control system engineering or a related field to work as a control system engineer.
- Registered or ability to register with Engineers Registration Board (ERB).
- A minimum of 5 years of experience as a plant or other control system engineer in a continuous operation.
- Proven work experience as a control system engineer.
- Proven history of process improvement.
- Experience with Rockwell PLC.
- Experience with Citect SCADA.
- Experience in troubleshooting electrical equipment.
- Understanding of electrical drawings.
- Experience with VSD programming.
- Experience with programming and troubleshooting Plant Network Switches