CIVIL ENGINEER (X1)
In its pursuit to become a Competitive Commercial Power Utility within the Region, Botswana Power Corporation invites applications from suitably qualified, highly energetic, dynamic, result oriented, innovative, and customer focused individuals, who believe they can be part of a great team that delivers power to Botswana to apply for the below listed position not later than 4th October 2023.
Main purpose of the position
Performs civil engineering functions related to power generation structures and develops civil engineering and maintenance strategies by coordinating, consulting, providing direction and managing contractors in maintaining civil structures to the highest industry standards.
- Coordinates, consults and provides direction to the Engineering department in maintaining civil engineering systems to the highest industry standards.
- Collaborates with executives and managers to implement strategic goals for the department.
- Develops and delivers elements of a whole life strategic plan for maintenance of the civil integrity of the power plant.
- Provides operational support services and provides leadership of a transactional operations areas using existing systems and protocols.
- Supervises the implementation of approved changes in civil engineering design and procedures of plant and equipment.
- Reviews and recommends civil condition monitoring and data and makes recommendations on maintenance plans.
- Investigates and identifies civil engineering problems & recommends appropriate corrective measure.
- Coordinates the setting up and testing of new products/processes and leads the installation of civil structures and buildings.
- Provides technical direction for repair of civil plant directs necessary modifications
- Initiates and manages the contracting of civil engineering work.
- Analyses civil engineering contract bids, makes recommendations for contract awards and manages the associated contract administration.
- Manages day-to-day relationships with civil engineering contract service providers and working within an established contract management plan.
- Monitors and supervises work of contractors and commissioning of major civil repair work and modifications in area of responsibility to ensure compliance to specified standards.
- Works independently to collate and analyse data using pre-determined tools, methods, and formats.
- Prepares statistical records and reports of civil structures.
- Gather data, test equipment, and co-ordinate reports preparation regarding the performance of civil plant in area of expertise.
- Manage client and customer relationships by using existing systems and protocols.
- Supports internal customers to ensure their needs are met and/or helps senior colleagues manage client relationships.
- Identifies and evaluates complex expertise-led solutions against a range of criteria to find the ones that best meet business needs
- Performs assigned procurement activities in own section using existing procedures.
- Provides input into team’s performance management system as required.
- Contributes to the delivery of the sectional budget and monitor progress while working within established systems.
- Advises plant personnel in matters of cost benefit analysis.
- Maintains records of civil structures condition and performance as per the established knowledge management systems.
- Develops programs for testing and evaluation of plant and optimises programs to achieve life expectancy of plant.
- Responsible for management of capital and other projects in area of expertise, including all aspects of Project Planning, Project Implementation, Project Control, and final delivery of projects, meeting customer expectations of Time Quality and within Budget.
- Operates in accordance with policies and rules, while performing routine safety checks on own equipment and workspace.
- Contributes to the development of risk assessments.
- Performs periodic spot checks to ensure that safe work practices are adhered to as well as controlling the standard and quality of work performed.
- A relevant degree in Civil Engineering or Equivalent.
- Membership of the Engineers Registration Board Botswana (ERB) required.
- A valid Class B Drivers License is required.
- A minimum of five (5) years relevant post qualification with relevant civil maintenance and construction experience at a supervisory or management level
- Knowledge and experience of the energy industry in general, and power generation in particular will be an advantage.
- A minimum of two (2) years’ experience in developing civil maintenance strategies and civil engineering design involvement.
- Action Oriented
- Customer Focus
- Drive For Results
- Interpersonal Skills
- Management Excellence
- Problem Solving
- Process Management
- Strategic Thinking
- Values Ethic and Integrity
Interested and suitably qualified applicants are requested to apply by no later than 4th October 2023. Only shortlisted candidates will be responded to.