ACCOUNTANT (X 2) – GABORONE 1. Financial Accounting & Treasury 2. Finance Project
In its pursuit to become a Competitive Commercial Power Utility within the Region, Botswana Power Corporation invites applications from suitably qualified, highly energetic, dynamic, result oriented, innovative, and customer focused individuals, who believe they can be part of a great team that delivers power to Botswana to apply for the below listed position not later than 23 December 2023.
Main purpose of the position
- Manages regional offices and sections to deliver prescribed operational outcomes while working within established systems.
- Monitors and continually review internal controls and audit recommendations to meet operational objectives and accounting standards.
- Evaluates systems performance within the section and recommends necessary enhancements to improve operational efficiency and controls.
- Plans and organises optimal use of resources within areas of responsibility
- Implements the company’s credit policy to mitigate unnecessary risk
- Reviews credit applications and credit references to set credit limits and ensure creditworthiness (credit management).
- Manages write-offs, bad debt provisions and setting up of payment plans
- Monitor and manage customers’ accounts for large power users.
- Prepares statement of claims for liquidators.
- Engages legal department over litigation and liquidation processes.
- Reviews all required legal documentation and initiates the legal recovery processes for defaulting customers.
- Conducts periodic engagement with third parties as required ( third party collection agencies, law enforcement, credit bureau, judiciary, law enforcement).
- Ensure that accurate records of action taken to recover debts are maintained as per the organization’s processes and procedures.
- Efficiently collects cash inflows.
- Concentrates collected funds.
- Forecasts the cash position.
- Secures adequate sources of short-term funds.
- Efficiently collects cash inflows.
- Controls the timing of cash outflows.
- Keeps track and monitors all payments and expenditures, including payroll, purchase orders, invoices, statements, etc.
- Reconciles processed work by verifying entries and comparing system reports to balances
- Oversees payment of vendors by scheduling pay checks and ensuring payment is received for outstanding credit
- Manages super vendors and revenue collection through various payment channels.
- Manages daily reconciliation between bank and company accounts as well as handling daily receipts, monthly revenue intake sheets, spreadsheet files,
- Prepares journal entries, and credit notes and assists with month end review and reports for billing, meter audits and prepaid reports.
- Reviews current revenue recognition processes/procedures and implement process improvements to improve efficiency and timeliness of the close and reporting
- Continuously improve business processes, systems, and enhance documentation and controls
- Highlights shortcomings and suggests improvements in current compliance processes, systems, and procedures within assigned unit and/or discipline.
- Oversees proper accounting for VAT and WHT Taxes as well as adherence to the respective regulatory frameworks
- Participates in documentation and controls of the Department including monitoring of files to optimise disks usage.
- Provides statistics and information used in preparation of monthly accounts, adhoc reports, and responds to audit reports to facilitate decision-making.
- Reviews and prepares complex reconciliations of control accounts monthly to ensure that financial records are accurate and up to date.
- Monitors repayment schedules and process payments to ensure accurate records and avoidance of penalty interest.
- Checks accuracy of control accounts to ensure correctness of key financial assertions.
- Improves personal performance and coaches’ others when required using performance management systems and protocols
- Implements prescribed SHE initiatives and provides support services by using the organisations safety, health and environment systems and protocols.
- A minimum of a recognized Degree in Finance, Accounting or Equivalent
- Part or full Professional Accounting Qualification is an added advantage
- BICA Membership is required
- At least 5 years post qualification experience in Accounting/Finance of which 3 years should have been at supervisory level.
- Drive For Results
- Customer Focus
- Interpersonal Skills
- Management Excellence
- Values Ethic and Integrity
- Problem Solving
- Strategic Thinking
- Process Management
- Action Oriented
Interested and suitably qualified applicants are requested to apply by no later than 16 December 2023. Only shortlisted candidates will be responded to.